+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, MS Publisher Failing to print in Technical; Has anyone had any problems recently with MS publisher, we have a number of machines at the college which fail ...
    Thank Post

MS Publisher Failing to print

Has anyone had any problems recently with MS publisher, we have a number of machines at the college which fail to print when it comes to printing in publisher, however is fine with everything else.

This affects a number of staff and students machines however not all machines and all users at the same time.

We can confirm that it is not a MS update as we do not do them; the machines get the update when we re-ghost each summer.

If anyone is aware of any quick fixes or anything, it would be appreciated as the students use publisher for a lot of their course work and as well all know, it's that time of year again!

Thank Post

Re: MS Publisher Failing to print

We found an issue that meant Publisher, and only publisher, remembered the last printer it printed to. So students were happily printing off, wondering why it wasn't printing and it was actually coming out the other side of the school. You can check this by trying to print, if nothing go in to the print settings and selecting the proper printer EVEN if the correct one is displayed and then try printing again. If it prints out ok then that was the problem. It is something to do with a registry setting being used to store the printer. This could also be a problem if they don't have permission to change that reg key.

HTH

Thank Post

I've had issues with Publisher sending jobs as Letter size by default (regardless of printing prefs) and PCounter ditching those jobs as it's only set up to handle A4.

Thank Post

This seems to be just affecting printing in general, across various printer models HP, Epson etc and with various update drivers. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

we're having the same problem has anyone found a fix yet.

Thank Post

Are all printjobs affected??
    Check it's not the printer running out of memory or a paper size mismatch..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP
    Are all printjobs affected??
    Check it's not the printer running out of memory or a paper size mismatch..
    It's definately not that, Any other MS or third party application can print fine, this affects all printers that we have (Epson, Lexmark and HP)both when printing through the print server (ie across the network) and locally via TCP/IP.

Thank Post

HI

I used to have this problem with published. Kids were creating files that were huge and there was not enough room for the spooler file on the server. I have the move the spooler file to another partition and this cured about half of the prints. I also fround that if published did not have all the pathces on it would crach during printing and saving.

Richard

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ricki
    HI

I used to have this problem with published. Kids were creating files that were huge and there was not enough room for the spooler file on the server. I have the move the spooler file to another partition and this cured about half of the prints. I also fround that if published did not have all the pathces on it would crach during printing and saving.

Richard
    MS XP Pro SP2 and Office 2003 has all the patches that it requires following an extensive Reasearch & Development programme through my team and the LEA, the ghost image is used across the LEA and only affects one or two areas at different times.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts

As with the others. Print problems with Publisher have had one of two causes for me.

1) The Paper size being sent is Letter not A4 - pain in the backside, but the printer is usually telling you it wants different paper loaded and not kicking the job out completely
    2) The pictures are enormous and the printer can't cope. (Select a picture in the document, choose compress pictures from the Picture toolbar and check the option to compress all pictures to print resolution)

The third cause can affect the kids and staff (but not me )
    Print Manager is jumping in and deciding they haven't enough allowance to print the job and deleting it. (I've got unlimited printing )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread