+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Prevent certain named files from being saved in Technical; We are having a slight problem with pupils and flash games (havn't we all). They are sending flash games in ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Prevent certain named files from being saved

We are having a slight problem with pupils and flash games (havn't we all). They are sending flash games in using their gateway emails as they cannot use removable storage but odue to ICT lessons we cannot restrict .swf as a path rule like we have for other executables and scripts. Is there any way of using GP to restrict by name content or certain externsions by the name of 'x'? We use sophos which does allow data control to block certain files by names and types of content they include, the compramise using this is any computer using this data control policy is blocked from saving to removal devices direct so users need to move the file using windows explorer. If things were that simple great but I recieved complaints from members of staff when they are unable to save back to their flash drives direct.

Is there another way

Thank Post
    if you install the feature (i think its a feature on 08/r2 its also in 2003) file server resource manager you can use it to block creation of pretty much anything you want. I have it set to dissalow the creation of desktop.ini but i see no reason why you couldnt block *.swf on say d:\users

3. Thanks to sted from:

bondbill2k2 (30th January 2012)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 882 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could use File Server Resource Manager to achieve this.

We use it to prevent students saving certain file types to their home folders.

Edit: @sted beat me to it!

5. Thanks to DaveP from:

bondbill2k2 (30th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can also set up the FSRM template to send you & them an email when it blocks a file, which is good for putting the fear of God into them. Even better when you look up their timetable and realise the little darling is just round the corner from you, and you can pop in and have a quiet word in the teacher's ear...

Thank Post
    The issue with blocking *.swf is that won't some courses actually create *.swf for their coursework? I know in our Media classes some of the pupils are creating flash to use on websites etc.......

As with anything, you'd have to punish the people who use the files correctly to get to the ones who dont.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ooo didnt know about that feature.

Might turn it on for executables!

EDIT: not available in 2003 standard version :/
    Last edited by zag; 27th January 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    You can also set up the FSRM template to send you & them an email when it blocks a file, which is good for putting the fear of God into them. Even better when you look up their timetable and realise the little darling is just round the corner from you, and you can pop in and have a quiet word in the teacher's ear...
    I forgot to mention that. We use it here to notify Reprographics when staff drop a file into the Print/Copy/Laminate request folder on the staff desktops. Makes requests to Reprographics go much more smoothly [especially when the file to be copied is too big to go via E-Mail!

10. Thanks to DaveP from:

sjatkn (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I forgot to mention that. We use it here to notify Reprographics when staff drop a file into the Print/Copy/Laminate request folder on the staff desktops. Makes requests to Reprographics go much more smoothly [especially when the file to be copied is too big to go via E-Mail!
    Hey now, that there's a clever idea... might think about doing that. How do staff detail what copies and timescale they need?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Hey now, that there's a clever idea... might think about doing that. How do staff detail what copies and timescale they need?
    They have been told that they must create a follow up E-Mail with all the details of the work they need done included in the message.

Simple!

13. Thanks to DaveP from:

sonofsanta (30th January 2012)

Thank Post
    We use FSRM and block all .swf files - we then open them up as exceptions as and when they're needed by students, on certain paths. We also modified the exim configuration on our mail server to bounce any mails back with .swf extensions. The two combined have worked well - now the kids just browse the net for games rather than email them to each other! Oh well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We use samba which can veto file types.

Thank Post
    Set up so that *.swf are blocked within their personal storage area and then create a folder on the network in a shared storage area which has permissions to enable *.swf files to only be saved to that area. Using folders within this folder to organise into courses / users. Having them all in one place will also make it easier to possibly pick up on ones that are games and which ones are the pupils work

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some useful stuff there guys thanks! As mentioned I cannot block just .swf files as they are used, as for saving to a certain area this is something I may implement in the summer when we renew our servers and change years over, the year 11s are the main offenders for downloading games and once they are gone and a new years starts it might be easier to do this rather then mid term! I ilke the ability to send emails to admins and the users tho I'll be using this for shared areas as DaveP suggested.

Thank Post
    I do sweeps for stuff like this every now and again, theres a couple of nasty flash based programs that pop up and do the rounds within year groups

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread