+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Doling out passwords to students in Technical; We set the passwords to be the same at the start of the year for all enw students. This has ...
    Thank Post

Re: Doling out passwords to students

We set the passwords to be the same at the start of the year for all enw students. This has been "password" or the name of the school, or the name of the domain. I change it yearly so other people can't guess it.

Then in their first ICT lesson they are shown how to change this.... so two weeks later, when they get their 2nd lesson, they've had a chance to forget it. I'll usually hang around in the class, and change/reset what is necessary.

We have had the year 7 students in for an open day during June/July so they should know their username.... yeah right, but can they spell it (it's their surname) ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by User3204
    so two weeks later, when they get their 2nd lesson, they've had a chance to forget it. I'll usually hang around in the class, and change/reset what is necessary.
    For greater effect, use a wireless-enabled PDA to do this. "Oooh, aaah!"

Thank Post

I used to let them set their own passwords - but when they found that no one could remind them of what it was - it became a sport to see who could come up to IT and get it reset the most times - I frequently had 70-80 students a day turning up. I asked to charge a 50p fine for resetting them, but got so much agro from finance and the SEN lot that had to give that up.

So I went for pre-set passwords, with a list that teachers could look up - I did it by grepping out 7 letter words from a dictionery file into a spreadsheet of the login id's and then bodging the spreadsheet to contain the command line instructions for setting the passwords, save as a text file, change to a bat and run it. Then teachers let the kids use the PCs on their logins and the list got nicked.

Now we've reset again - but nobody gets the list. More hassle

Thank Post

We set the password to their postcodes, and force them to change at first login

Thank Post

In the past, our students just used the last four digits of their state ID number, which all of the teachers and staff can look up. This worked ok, except as the kids get older, they tend to 'find' each other's passwords and start logging in with other student's accounts. (Teachers tend to leave lists of students and ID numbers lying around...) It's also not a very secure password system if someone tried to crack the passwords.

This year, we are starting them off with a three-letter school abbreviation (first letter in caps), followed by the last four digits of the ID. They will then have to change their passwords at first login. We are also implementing password complexity requirements for the first time! I hope this goes ok. We are allowing all of the staff to reset student passwords, so there will be plenty of people who are able to help with that. We are also implementing the limitlogin.vbs script that I found here. We already had a very similar script to track who logged into which PC, so this was failry easy for our developer to do - although testing has not been completed.

This forum has been a great help so far! Thanks.

Alan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We now print the username and password on the student learning agreement which they get when they enrol; not all of them lose this before they get to a computer :-)

When I was in a school, I used to print out small cards containing the name, form, username and password and give these out to the new pupils at the first lesson - some of them like this and treasure the cards; others, of course, leave them behind (which defeats the purpose of trying to give unique passwords to each child!)

Thank Post

For the last couple of years we have been experimenting with setting the students passwords, and not allowing them to change them without requesting it.

This means that all their teachers can have a list of their username and password and give them out s necessary.

But - most importantly it means we can give them out to parents, which means that they can actively log in to the extranet as the student and see everything they can see, which means they have the option of monitoring email, documents, blogs etc.

Obvisouly not in the sixth form though - we give them the option of whether they share it with parents or not.

We randomly generate the passwords, but to make them easier to remember instead of single characters making up the password we use three letter words and numbers, so a password may end up something like dog4cat7

With a list of hundreds of three letter words this makes enough combinations to prevent guesses but easy enough for a student to remember.

On the whole it has been very well received by teachers and parents for the control it gives them, and not a single complaint from any student - and we have 1800 of them.

All the usernames and passwords will be generated automatically on the first day of the new CMIS data set and emailed to the relevant form tutor for wach student, as well as their IT teacher.

Thank Post

We're thinking of printing the username and password on the welcome pack. Anybody found this isn't working for you?

Thank Post

We use a little bit of software called UMRA to extract the DOB from SIMS and paste that into the AD meaning that each student only has to remember thier DOB. This is then changed at 1st login each year... or when ever we decide that we want to reset all the passwords.

We have found that UMRA is a good little tool that does what we want.

Thank Post

We do the same as most of you - use the same password for the new intake at the start of the year and get them to change it on their first login. It's usually based around parts of the body (last year was "foot" - I haven't decided what to use this year).

However, once they've changed their password that's it for the four years unless they ask me to reset it.

Thank Post

We set the passwords to their birthdate in the format ddmmyy and force them to change on first login.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries

good idea

Thank Post

We do a mailmerge to give out individual sheets then hand them out when the NM does the first Y7 lesson. This way he can set out the rules, make sure they all can log on with out any problems, can get around the network and can never say that they didn't know the rules/were never told them.

Thank Post

Re: Doling out password to students

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Here, new student accounts are 'password' and are instructed to change this at their first ICT lesson. It's always worked for us in the past.
    Same here, and we don't get any problems with people logging in as someone else and changing passwords. But even if we did, it takes seconds to reset it for the affected user, so I wouldn't devote too much time to finding a more secure alternative as the solution might take up more time than the problem!

If it did become a bigger problem, I would probably go for middle names or dates of birth - things which are easily extracted from SIMS and won't be known to classmates as early as day 1.

Thank Post

It really surprises me that so many of you do not use more secure passwords. I understand that you have to compromise some, because younger kids do have trouble with passwords... I guess that I have read too many instances of older students who have cracked passwords and changed grades or just messed with people. We have only had a few attempts at these things, as far as I know. I just don't want to be quoted in the newspaper one day saying, "Well, you know the younger kids have trouble remember more complex passwords, so we didn't make them complex. I guess that we will have to change now that we have this issue..." I'm trying to get it through to the staff's heads that you can integrate password creation into learning. You can use their street name and year of birth for instance or even just 'grover-1' is a little harder to crack than '8459'. I'm trying to compromise while still getting a little more security. It's a tough road... We don't really have the funding to add more servers for multiple domains, but even then - I wouldn't be happy with a super simple password complexity requirement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12