Windows Thread, CC3 / Server 2003 Network - Add desktop shortcut icon to staff profiles in Technical; Hi,
I am trying to add a .lnk file to the desktop of staff profiles (but not to students) on ...
24th January 2012, 05:11 PM #1
- Rep Power
CC3 / Server 2003 Network - Add desktop shortcut icon to staff profiles
I am trying to add a .lnk file to the desktop of staff profiles (but not to students) on RM workstations only, not other Windows machines on the domain. Does any one have any ideas how I can go about this?
24th January 2012, 06:50 PM #2
I know how to add it to the start menu. It's fairly easy to do and I did it today for the first time.
Basically the start menu is generated at logon time depending on what "program sets" have been allocated to the user or a group the user is a member of. Each program set will have different shortcuts in it. You might have a "teachers" program bank containing teaching tools while the "students" program set would contain everything the kids need access to.
* First we need to copy the shortcut we want to the following location, this make it available to allocate to a program set:
G:\RMDelivery\Group Resources\Shortcut Bank
Now we have to allocate it to a program set:
* Log onto the RM Management Console and go Resources > Program Sets.
* Right click and create a new program set.
* Name it then click the "shortcuts" tab and select "shortcut bank" from the drop down list. The shortcut you want should be in here. Add it.
* Go to the "groups" tab and add the groups you want to see the shortcut (which is now in the program set you just created). This will probably be the "teaching staff" group.
* Click ok and it should do it's thing now when teachers log on they'll get whatever shortcuts you just added to that program set appearing in their start menu.
Any issues let me know and don't forget to thank post me
Thanks to Sam_Brown from:
nkryptr (26th January 2012)
25th January 2012, 04:16 PM #3
26th January 2012, 04:15 PM #4
- Rep Power
Cheers Sam_Brown, that sorted it.
By bats in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
Last Post: 21st July 2010, 04:41 PM
Last Post: 23rd June 2009, 07:21 PM
By LorenzosEar in forum Windows Server 2008
Last Post: 13th February 2009, 09:38 PM
By mattx in forum Windows
Last Post: 11th March 2008, 09:14 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)