+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, InstallShield Installer won't work in silent mode in Technical; We are in the process of doing our Windows 7 migration preparation at the moment. Part of this process is ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

InstallShield Installer won't work in silent mode

We are in the process of doing our Windows 7 migration preparation at the moment. Part of this process is the testing of the installation process of various pieces of software using SCCM and making sure that they work under Windows 7. Because our packages are being deployed using SCCM, you want them to be able to be deployed silently with no UI being shown. I don't care whether that's achieved using switches, transforms, ini files or voodoo just so long as the thing works.

I have two installers that flatly refuse to work silently. They're both published by the same company (Infor) and they're used for deploying our Finance software (Sun). They work when you have the basic UI presented (Using the /qb switch) but error when told to suppress the UI entirely (/qn switch). This happens whether I set parameters using the command line or by using a transform file. And it also happens when I use the setup.exe or call the relevant MSI directly using MSIEXEC.

The installers themselves generate logs which indicate that they can't find a SQL server so I'm guessing that the parameters I'm setting are being ignored when the installer is invoked silently. Has anyone come across this problem before? I really don't want to have to repackage these things if I can avoid it!

Cheers,

Norphy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never mind, I remembered that when you add a definition to SCCM using an MSI as a template, it usually puts in the "Per system attended" program in there as well. I've put a /qb on the end of the command line for both tools and published an advert to a collection and it works. The user gets a installation box but that is at least less stupid than going around each machine that needs the software and installing it by hand.

We'll just have to put up with it until they fix their installers!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread