+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, RIS Service (BINLSVC) stuck at 'starting' in Technical; Ever since my esteemed leader, the school's Network Manager, changed the administrator password whilst I was away the other week, ...

Thank Post

RIS Service (BINLSVC) stuck at 'starting'

Ever since my esteemed leader, the school's Network Manager, changed the administrator password whilst I was away the other week, I've done nothing but tidy up after him (grumble over).

I'm having one problem with our RIS service (BINLSVC). It had stopped, and I'm assuming that's because the the administrator password had been changed and it couldn't connect.

I changed the logon account in the service itself to reflect the new administrator password, but it is now stuck in 'starting'. I'm unable to stop/resume/start or do anything with it. All I can do is refresh.

This has stayed the same after a reboot.

Has anyone struggled with this before? Should the logon account be a local system one... or should it be a doman account?

TIA

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: RIS Service (BINLSVC) stuck at 'starting'

Try uninstalling the RIS service and then re-installing it, as for it hanging I've never had that problem, I have however had numerous problems when I once changed the administrator password (it just causes system wide chaos amongst services which rely on the account). Smack your NM from the rest of us will you on their return will you?

Thank Post

I'm definitely first in the queue to smack the NM. He caused untold problems because he didn't think his admin pwd change over at all (I've spent hours correcting the fallout!). Anyone would think that he's the lowly techie, and I'm the NM! (I wish).

Anyway, reinstalled... and it said it was initialised and ready, but the service still says "starting".

How long does it take on average to refresh? Should I have rebooted after uninstalling?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

When the service starts it reads all of the .sif files in the REMINST share. Are they all present and correct?

Thank Post

Are you Win2K or Win2K3?

On my Win2K systems, BINLSVC logs on as local system account.

Have you looked in the event logs for messages from the service?

If you are Win2K, you could try running RIS in debug mode (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q236033/) this gives you a console screen explaining what is happening.

Is your RIS server also a DHCP server? There was a bug in Win2K whereby if the DHCP server service was installed on the RIS server, it had to be the active DHCP server, but the symptoms were different.

Thank Post

I forgot to mention that.. we're completely Win 2k3 here with XP workstations...

We also have errors with tcpsvcs.exe which generates memory errors on startup (the instruction at reference 0x7c8396d0 referenced memory at...- the memory could not be read).

Now, I know that the RIS service relies on tcpip, but is the above error likely to be linked?

We know that our memory errors are caused by a 'fix' (ho ho) that we put on our servers for faster bootup and memory handling (an addition to the boot.ini was made), which we've now removed.

I think I'm tying myself up in knots here looking at all the different problems.

Event Viewer also reports that the RIS service hung on startup, and then a few mins later reports that it's terminated, even though it's still showing as 'starting' in the services list.

V confusing...

Thank Post

Do you have HP Web JetAdmin installed on your servers at all, and if so, do you have Sophos as well. This caused me a problem recently on a 2K3 server. Disabling the Web JetAdmin service brought things back into line.

Thank Post

Interestingly, we have both... thanks for that, I'm off to play (whilst it's Lunchtime, and fairly quiet).. ;-)

Thank Post

.... nope... still "stuck".

Cue lots and lots of swearwords....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread