+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Chat Software in Technical; Hi everyone, looking for some advice. A lot of the rooms in our school do not have phones so a ...
    Thank Post

Lightbulb Chat Software

Hi everyone, looking for some advice. A lot of the rooms in our school do not have phones so a few years ago I installed BorgChat on the teachers laptops. They use it a lot, but i have noticed it can be pretty unstable, ie keeps resetting the language to romainian. Also since we started upgrading to Windows 7 its getting even more unstable. Having checked the website the person who wrote it seams to have lost interest in October 2007 so im not holding my hopes out for another upgrade.
    Hence i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a free alternative.
    I have been looking around at various chat programs but they all seam to either cost a load of money or want you to register every user with the online service. kinda hoping someone on here will have come acccross something cool.

Thanks

Oh and if you could recommend one that will work on a terminal server that would be even better.

Thank Post
    We use Jabber, It's a Linux based chat system and is spectacular! it's based on open fire we have re-branded it with the company logo and we have it setup so that it launches when an admin logs on and logs them in straight away that way admins are always available across site, staff can also use it but they have to launch it manually but they use the AD account to login to it.

3. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Bezwick (12th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Openfire Jabber/XMPP Server on CentOS mini-Howto | Tony Bhimani's Blog

This is exactly what we did - we use the spark client and have re-branded that to our companies logo.

5. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the Jabber Idea,

However ideally i would kind of like to avoid Linux as i have never managed to get anything working on it. Also ideally i would like the software to integrate with active directory so the staff dont need to sign in with andother username/password.

Will take a look at jabber though thanks.

Thank Post
    We have Jabber setup so that it authenticates with AD it's one of the options you can use during installation.... Even though you haven't had much luck with Linux I'd give this a try and you never know doing this you may just develop a passion!

Thank Post
    Ok will do, which brand of Linux would you recommend using?

Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    We have Jabber setup so that it authenticates with AD it's one of the options you can use during installation.... Even though you haven't had much luck with Linux I'd give this a try and you never know doing this you may just develop a passion!

Thank Post
    iv been recently looking at lync 2010

10. Thanks to bushby from:

Thank Post
    CentOS... it's Redhat based.

12. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post
    How difficult is it to setup? I am so aware that Microsoft documentation on these things is usually rubbish, you end up having to read through 15 knowledge base articals to undertand the acronyms on the first page of setup instructions. By the time you get to page 2 youve got an encyclopedia of knowledge base articles explaining the knowledge base articles that explain a few words on page 1.

Got caught out by that kinda thing from Microsoft before, and it can drive me nuts. As mosty of the 4 sides of A4 on each article is waffle, and could quite easily have been a lot clearer by making it one sentence long.

So let me know i can take it, how many grey hairs will it give me?

Quote Originally Posted by bushby View Post
    iv been recently looking at lync 2010

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    How difficult is it to setup? I am so aware that Microsoft documentation on these things is usually rubbish, you end up having to read through 15 knowledge base articals to undertand the acronyms on the first page of setup instructions. By the time you get to page 2 youve got an encyclopedia of knowledge base articles explaining the knowledge base articles that explain a few words on page 1.

Got caught out by that kinda thing from Microsoft before, and it can drive me nuts. As mosty of the 4 sides of A4 on each article is waffle, and could quite easily have been a lot clearer by making it one sentence long.

So let me know i can take it, how many grey hairs will it give me?
    for me its early stages, iv been on the how to guide of youtube to check out what the install is like.
    the reason I'm doing this as the school use to have jabber then ichat. but i want the school to move on to a microsoft solution.

15. Thanks to bushby from:

Thank Post
    Not many, I was fairly new to Linux when I set this up. It's a straight forward walk through - and if you look on the internet after you have downloaded the CentOS DVD ISO you can even get a guide for installing CentOS and once you've done that you've got a Red Hat system up & running.

17. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post
    Another vote for Lync 2010 - we have been using it to great effect over the past year.
    Long term plan is to mix it in with the schools phone system as well (well more replace than mix in).

Runs off Windows Server 2008/R2 and setup is very next next next done (no Linux to play around with!).

Thank Post
    Hi all i have tried both Openfire/jabber & Lync. Lync was ok but way too big for us. We only need a simple lan chat client, so i had a go with Openfire on Linux (as i suspected i now have lots more grey hairs) then i discovered there is a windows version of Openfire so i had a crack with that. I like it it works pretty well and i love the plugins so you can add bits to it. All in all its what i was after, just having one problem, im using the Spark client how on earth do you get SSO to work.
    I followed this guide

Ignite Realtime: SSO Configuration

It all appeard to work ok (Im using Server 2008 R2 on the server and Windows 7 on my client) and works fine if you type in your details but whenever i use SSO i just get box appear saying
    "Unable to connect using Single Sign-On. Please check your principal and server settings."

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    openfire and spark run quite well in a 100% windows environment ive run it in the past

Thank Post
    Help, anyone have a sample openfire.xml file with SSO configured i can take a look at? Just cant seam to get it working.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread