+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Lost Delayed-Write Data on b2d job in Technical; I have a b2d job scheduled to run over the weekends to my NAS but get the error: Event Type: ...
    Thank Post

Lost Delayed-Write Data on b2d job

I have a b2d job scheduled to run over the weekends to my NAS but get the error:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MRxSmb
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 50
    Date: 27/05/2007
    Time: 13:31:31
    User: N/A
    Computer: server2
    Description:
    {Lost Delayed-Write Data} The system was attempting to transfer file data from buffers to \Device\LanmanRedirector. The write operation failed, and only some of the data may have been written to the file.
    I've had a search and found the below but any links referenced from this require a login

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...ource=MRxSmb&a mp;phase=1

I've also found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293842#appliesto which looks spot on but the resolution is to obtain the latest service pack!!!! How frustrating

Anyone know of a fix or what i can do?

Thank Post

Re: Lost Delayed-Write Data on b2d job

Are you really running a windows 2000 server not on SP4?

Thank Post

I should have added those details sorry.

It's Windows server 2000 SP4. That's why i was frustrated with the MS reference to install the latest SP

Thank Post

So you are trying to write to a path of (for example):

\\device\data\

If so have you tried subbing in the devices ip address, e.g.

\\172.1.1.1\data\

Also, how much of the data got transfered? All, sum, or nothing at all?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 841 Posts
    Blog Entries

How much ram do you have (in both)?
    Which server, nas or backed up server has the error?

Thank Post

Check the network statistic on the network ports on the switches between the NAS and the server. We occasionaly get this error message on clients, and it is usualy because either the NIC or the port on the switch has packed up.

Thank Post

amcevoy

No i haven't tried the IP address but i can't think why this would make any difference!!? There is always a chunk of it backed up so it's not failing straight away

ZeroHour

I have 2Gig in the W2k servers which are backing up and 1Gig in the NAS. Also this job is happening over the weekend so there isn't any other activity happening.

It's the servers backing up that get the error.

RichardDS

I have seen this error recently on a few stations here aswell now come to mention it. I know that there is nothing wrong with the switch port and the NIC's are fine so could just be that the switch needs a reboot. I'll try this and see what happens

Thank Post

If you use the IP it will eliminate DNS problems. One less thing to worry about.

Can you give us an end to end description.

i.e.

Layer 7 - Veritas
    Layer 6/5 - Win 2000 Server, SP4
    Layer 4 - TCP
    Layer 3 - IP
    Layer 2 - Intel Pro 1000 LX on VLan 3
    Layer 1 - LX to SC Fiber Cable
    Layer 2 - Fiber SC GBIC to Cisco 3508 to Copper RJ45 GBIC
    Layer 1 - CAT6 Cable
    Layer 2 - Buffalo TeraStation Pro 2.0TB Network Attached Storage

Thank Post

The terrastation has no Veritas agent on it!
    It therefore cannot use the intellegent background transfer methods Veritas would use.
    Transfer of data will be through SMB alone.

Therefore you will need to tune a number of elements to ensure that data is in the right place at the right time.

Think of this job as being like burning a CD/DVD or Streaming to a Tape.
    You need to avoid buffer under-run/over-run.

If the source and target devices support gigabit are they on the same switch?
    If they are in different parts of the campus can all of the adjacent links support gigabit and is jumbo frame support enabled?
    Is there any other traffic likely to be flowing across the links at the same time as your backup runs?
    Your VLan will be of no use to you when the data reaches an uplink! It will have to get in line and queue with the rest of the data. You might want to trunk this link if it's a bottleneck during backup windows.

Is your storage station set up for RAID?
    This is a slower write process and will cause real problems if you bombard it's I/O with data streams.
    Lower the job priority in Veritas.

Use waterflow analogy, you need to supply the storage disc with data at a rate that is constant and in keeping with the rest of your system.
    We used to get this type of issue all the time with tape streamers. They used to see saw all night long as the tapes struggled to keep up with the data flow and the trick was to regulate the flow so it matched the streaming speed of the tape.

Your error implies that you have forced too much data too quickly or are expecting it to take your data at a faster rate than it is capable of (Raid0 or 5 can often do this) as the buffers are often full whilst parity or mirror data is being generated and written.
    Your Veritas then incorrectly assumes that the disk is either full, not ready or offline during the data transfer and fails.
    If your target was a tape device the manufacturers drivers would have determined this and set the rates accordingly. Your B2D is assuming it can take data at any rate at any time.

Try using the "Test Run" option in Veritas.
    If this fails due to a capacity error or insufficient media issues then Veritas is unable to determine the target correctly and failure is likely.
    Some builds of Veritas 10d seems to have this problem, a B2D job will always fail the test run but will actually work when the run now option is used! Strange!

I use an almost identical setup as you have described to backup an SQL server each weekend, it is scheduled to run when there is no other traffic and the Buffalo is set up for disk stripe (Max Capacity no Fault Tolerance Fastest Speed) and it has never missed or failed a job.

You often see delay write errors when classes of kids log off and the profiles are all dumped simultaneously to the single server with the user profiles directory on it.

Thank Post

I had a very similar problem backing up to external usb hard drives. Never really worked out exactly why it was doing it, but changing the backup to disk device in backup exec to have a maximum file size of 1gb fixed the problem. It now just saves the backup as multiple files in the same location, and works fine.

Steve

Thank Post

amcevoy,

I'm not entirely sure about specific Layers so rather than make myself look stupid i'll just give you the gist of my setup

Backup NT > Win 2000 Server, SP4 > Intel 82540EM 1Gb > Cat5e > Netgear Gb port > Gb Cat5e link to Second Netgear switch Gb port > Cat5e > Intel PRO/1000 > RMNAS box (RAID5 configured)

m25man

Thanks for the lengthy reply.

Reading through i have realised that my setup is not ideal for what i'm wanting to do.

Firstly the NAS and the servers are not on the same switch (Although all links are Gb - The NAS was originally bought for the media students to store their rendering and captured video so the NAS was connected to the same switch as these stations. The B2D was an after thought seeing as i have so much space available. I have now changed this over to the same switch as the servers to see if this makes any difference. I am also running a test run to see if this works.

One server is using Veritas V9, the other Two NT Backup - How can i lower the job priority with NT Backup?

It's a RMNAS box (Not sure if that makes any difference) which is configured as RAID5 which i don't want to change, again due to the fact that this was initially bought for storage of media work.

If this is really not going to work with my current setup then i will buy a Buffalo NAS and setup as you mentioned.

Thanks for the advice

Thank Post

When setting up the B2D folder you have the option to set the size of the media to be created/used.

Treat the B2D Folder as if it were a Tape Device.
    Set the Max Size of the File to the size of the Tape that you would like to be used in the drive. If you set the media to 50Gb and your selections total 140Gb in theory you will create 3 Files.

Then there is the gotcha!
    The next box states set the number of files in a backup set? it's normally set to 100

This had me going for a while, this number must be at least equal to or greater than the number of sources being included in a single job!

Eg. Lets say you have created a job to back up 3 servers and you have a B2D folder which has beed designated 150Gb as the Max Media Size you need to set the number of files to be greater than 3 otherwise you will get 1 psuedo tape created per server = 3 Files. The file size is relative to the backup job and not the selected media size

Using these methods it is possible to create 5 folders Mon -Fri with at least one tape in each folder (more dependent on Disk Space) adding and rotating as required.

Having Larger Media File Sizes instead of the default 1Gb ones makes it much easier to move/copy/manage them and restore from.

I personally wouldn't bother with Raid 5 on the NAS box if it were only to be used as an interim B2D solution as you are going to archive the data anyway ??? Hope.. If the NAS was to be the only backup store you had then Raid5 might be a wise move but watch out for the delayed write issue.

As far as NTBackup goes I have never done it myself but, my SBS2003 Server has it's own routine that rotates 3 full server backup to disk jobs on a weekly cycle to a Synology NAS box and it works brilliantly.
    I even managed to do a total restore to a VM from one of these backups and it worked first time even exchange server came on line!

Thank Post

The error could be due to your hardware not being able to pass 500Mbps down a 100Mbps line. You could be getting a lot of interference from crosstalk and noise pushing 5 times the ideal amount of data across a CAT5e link. What lengths are the CAT5e? I would advise investing in a CAT6 cable for your server and trying at first to get a short CAT5e run to your RMNAS, which if works means you don't need a CAT6. You could look at pricing for ScTP CAT5 and STP CAT5 as opposed to CAT6 - if your tight on money, but I don't know how to prices vary (we just use fiber for Gb links).

If you are getting a lot of dropped packets then you will be getting more control traffic plus the desired traffic and the lost/corrupt traffic; that could be causing you buffers to fill promptly. Then your control traffic goes up because your TCP window size decreases. And Netgear switches wont be the best on buffer size - at a guess.

Hope this helps.... What else can I do on a saturday night when my technicians won't go out on the beer??? Boring sods.

Thank Post

Cheers guys. You've been most helpful. Looks like i have some more tinkering around to do.

The connection from server to NAS is Gb with 2m Cat5e each end so throughput shouldn't be an issue but i may try the Cat6 option and see how i get on.

Thanks again and any additional info would be gratefully recieved

Thank Post

Just a thought: I've seen AV file system filters (i.e. real time scanning) break network xfers of big data.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast