+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Vista browses one of my servers really really slowly! in Technical; My new home drives server is running windows 2003 R2 Server x64 SP2. All my XP workstations are fine with ...
    Thank Post

Vista browses one of my servers really really slowly!

My new home drives server is running windows 2003 R2 Server x64 SP2. All my XP workstations are fine with it normal fast access... and it is fast. but browsing the server from a vista workstation is dreadful. If I go \\servername then I wait a while (5-30 Secs) the shares show up and I choose one... then I wait and the directory listing appears, again and so forth!! Its the same If access is via a mapped drive or even if I am accessing a dfs path when its acting as the active target. or by \\ipaddress
    Copying Data from / to the server is also quite slow. 1m:30 ish for a full ish CD iso and only 20-30 secs to another server

The Server in question is a DC and a DNS server other than that it it’s just a file server I have one other X64 R2 server also SP2 (not a DC/DNS) but access to that one is fine. And access to all my 32Bit Servers are also fine.

Its a really strange problem and I can’t find anything in the event logs etc. It’s not a huge problem as we don’t use vista on any workstations except our play ones in the office, but I got a new pc today for someone it came with vista so I added it to the domain and it exhibited the same slow access. I will put xp on it but I was curious to see. Problem is with both 32 bit and 64 bit flavours of vista

DNS resolution isn’t the problem that was my first thought but it’s ok.
    Basically has anyone come across this? I googled it an found a couple of threads with people having the same problem but didn’t get any answers!

Thank Post

Re: Vista browses one of my servers really really slowly!

You might already have found it but have you had a look at some of the suggestions here?

Thank Post

Re: Vista browses one of my servers really really slowly!

We had this before, it might be the desktop.ini problems. Delete them all (not needed really) and it sped our system up to a reasonable time (like 10 secs to list 1500 folders)

fooby

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread