+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Macromedia Suite upgrade in Technical; Afternoon, I am looking at getting a upgrade price for our Macromedia Suite 8 to the latest CSS version but ...

Thank Post

Macromedia Suite upgrade

Afternoon,

I am looking at getting a upgrade price for our Macromedia Suite 8 to the latest CSS version but a little baffled by the options. Currently we have DW, Flash and FW and its just these really that we want to upgrade. The new Adobe suites seem to have added guff that we don't really want. Has anyone got site licenses for just these items? I had a quick look at Pugh but the points thing was a bit weird.

Thank Post
    We're looking to do the same upgrade, though there are calls for Photoshop here now too. Closest things seem to be Web Premium or Design Premium, but big money compared to Studio 8. My quote from Pugh was around £6k for DP, 500 licenses.

We've had good value from Studio 8 though, if CS5.5 does anywhere near as much I'll be happy.
    Last edited by 3s-gtech; 2nd December 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: More detail, spelling

Thank Post
    We're also doing pretty much the exact same upgrade! We called Adobe and they recommended we call a company called Academia (08456 120118) as they didn't deal with volume licenses themselves any more. We gave them a call and they had a look at our accreditations etc and said the best one for us would be Design Premium at £5995 for a 500 computer license.
    Last edited by Valyyn; 2nd December 2011 at 03:08 PM.

Thank Post
    I was expecting around £6k... bit pricey. Fired off an email and waiting for the bad news.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    By the looks of it you want Design Premium which should upgrade CS5 extended along with indesign and illustrator. For my site we are looking at about 15-20k to cover all machines!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 919 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have looked into this too. I have heard that there is a limited suite [intended for primary schools] where you are able to buy licences in blocks of 15 plus a teacher station. I asked our current supplier about this 'rumour' and asked if it could be applied to us as a secondary school. Apparently there is a licencing deal along these lines but it would not suit our needs.

I was directed toward a very expensive licencing deal that we could not even think about adopting. However if you are working at a primary school and you are looking at your Macromedia Suite it will be worth asking your supplier about this deal as if it includes all of the software you need it could save you a substantial amount of money over a straight upgrade on your current suite.

Sorry that I can't supply any more information but as soon as they heard that we were a secondary school the sales guy wasn't interested in letting me know any more [understandable I guess]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    By the looks of it you want Design Premium which should upgrade CS5 extended along with indesign and illustrator. For my site we are looking at about 15-20k to cover all machines!
    How many machines do you have to cost that much? I got Master Collection the other year and for 500 machines it wasn't close to 15-20K

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    How many machines do you have to cost that much? I got Master Collection the other year and for 500 machines it wasn't close to 15-20K
    Should have made it clearer we wanted to deploy master collection to all desktops in the school - so around 900 - which wound mean 2 x the 500 deal which was i think about 18k i cant remember! i didn't look into it too hard as once it got above 10k i gave up on interest. At present we have the design CS3 one which is photoshop, illustrator, in design etc but we also have macromedia studio 8 for dreamweaver flash etc.

The other program i wanted was adobe captivate but it doesn't come bundled with any of the design stuff. As at present years 8-13 have to take screenshots of everything to provide evidence. my idea was to make flash videos of each student doing it (as it annotates etc for them!) meaning they could spend more time doing proper stuff then taking screenshots!
    Last edited by glennda; 3rd December 2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: add more

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Should have made it clearer we wanted to deploy master collection to all desktops in the school - so around 900 - which wound mean 2 x the 500 deal which was i think about 18k i cant remember! i didn't look into it too hard as once it got above 10k i gave up on interest. At present we have the design CS3 one which is photoshop, illustrator, in design etc but we also have macromedia studio 8 for dreamweaver flash etc.

The other program i wanted was adobe captivate but it doesn't come bundled with any of the design stuff. As at present years 8-13 have to take screenshots of everything to provide evidence. my idea was to make flash videos of each student doing it (as it annotates etc for them!) meaning they could spend more time doing proper stuff then taking screenshots!
    Ahh that would be why and about the right £ then if you need 2x 500s.

Thank Post
    I just got a quote, 300 machines its £26,000 Quote is for Design premium and DW seperate.. doesn't look right to me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I just got a quote, 300 machines its £26,000 Quote is for Design premium and DW seperate.. doesn't look right to me.
    no is that the educational volume licensing? I spoke with TrustMarque about it. This is the document I got sent (which is freely in the public domain) about pricing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Nope defo not right, you can get Master Collection for 500 PCs on one site for around the 10-15K region (depends on supplier, support, software assurance etc....) so very much not right.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When we purchased CS3 it was around £8K for the master suite on a 500 machine site license. It came with PC and Mac install disks.

Take a look in the General forum here: Adobe - Education Announcement (1 Dec) for some discussion.

GJE

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread