+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Subverting Software Resritction Policy for Visual Studio debugging in Technical; Hey all, looking for some advice. Environment : HIGH SCHOOL - Computing Students Network : Win 2K/2K3 Hosts: Win XP ...

Thank Post

Question Subverting Software Resritction Policy for Visual Studio debugging

Hey all, looking for some advice.
    Environment : HIGH SCHOOL - Computing Students
    Network : Win 2K/2K3
    Hosts: Win XP with Visual Studio 2010

Students can code a module, and run it with the debugger, and it works fine (when it has not yet been saved). As soon as you save the project, trying to run it from the debug command, or launching the built executable generates the Software Restriction Policy block.

We can't take out .EXE from the Software restriction policy because that would cause free-for-all, and we can't realistically specify a single filename.exe as that would count on sutdents saving the project with the exact filename, and also would open up possibility for students understanding that filename.exe is not being blocked, and then renaming other applications we are trying to be blocked from running.

I would assume there is someway to run code from the debugger that compiles the code inside it's own kind of virtual environment, free from policy settings.

Does anyone know if there is a sensible way round this? I may be looking over something blatently obvious.

Any contributions greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Neil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilCotton View Post
    anyone know if there is a sensible way round this? I may be looking over something blatently obvious.
    I wouldn't call it "sensible" as there's many many a downside, but could always run .net studio as admin. But then anything run has admin credentials too.

"As far as I knew" you could give SRP to certain area's, so can't you add a restriction that it's not done in "XYZ" folder, at least that way exe's could be run just without admin access. But then if anyone manages to add other exe's (games etc) those could run too?

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread