+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Drivers in Technical; Hi, I have been given a Dr Stika Vinyl cutter and have been asked to install the drivers so they ...

Thank Post

Drivers

Hi,

I have been given a Dr Stika Vinyl cutter and have been asked to install the drivers so they are available for network install on our RM CC4 Network. So far it has been a complete headache, mainly due to the fact the drivers are unsigned. I first tried to install the using DPInst with the /LM switch which later found out is not compatible with quiet mode. I then built a package using wininstall LE on my test PC I found when I installed it as long as I restarted it the driver appeared to work. However iv just installed it to a couple more machines, installation goes fine but when we plug the device in, it show as 'unspecified' in devices and printers. Iv google this and it says that the device will still work its just windows cant classify it correctly. On my machine however the device does not appear in any programs and no printer properties are available on right click.

I have noted as well when I plug the device in Windows doesn't seem to search for the driver files at all, and iv checked the driver files do exist in the Windows repository, and when logged in as admin if you manually search for the drivers it installs fine.

I`m running out of ideas, can anyone help.

Thanks

Thank Post
    as a workaround can you dedicate a single machine and a user to it and create a repository for students to deposit work into? This is what we do for our laser and milling machines...

Thank Post
    not really as teachers would like it installed to all student laptops, and available in all computer rooms

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    as a workaround can you dedicate a single machine and a user to it and create a repository for students to deposit work into? This is what we do for our laser and milling machines...
    We do the same (we also have a Dr Stika Vinyl cutter) and as long as nothing is unplugged - just turned off everything seems to work ok. I dread rebuilding that machine (CC3 here) as the devices never want to reinstall afterwards...

As we don't run CC4 so I can't comment on why it's not working, but make sure the driver is correct (seem to remember there's various versions) as well as the com port if it uses it.
    Last edited by mwbutler; 29th November 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    If you're running Windows XP, Vista or 7 (32Bit) you can install unsigned drivers.

If you're running Vista or 7 (64Bit) you cannot install unsigned drivers. This is by design.

Thank Post
    i`m running windows 7, I`m trying to package the drivers as well so it just installs without confirming whether you want to install unsigned drivers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I recently discovered that you can search and deploy drivers using WSUS, however I'm not sure whether you'd be using this as you're running CC4.

Alternatively you could contact the company and see if they have signed drivers. You never know until you ask.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread