+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Ghost boot disk issue??? in Technical; I'm working on a server using RIS to PXE into Ghost. I'm building it on a test domain because we're ...

Thank Post

Ghost boot disk issue???

I'm working on a server using RIS to PXE into Ghost. I'm building it on a test domain because we're not setting up our campuses on a domain until summer so it has no GPO's but I have configured DHCP, AD, and most or RIS. I have a second server that I have installed Ghost on. I am working on my boot disk. I found a great one that I have edited with my domain logon information and then a batch to map a drive to the ghost server and run the ghost.exe. The problem I'm having is that when it comes to the end it asks for the password before it will launch ghost. Is there something I need to do to my ghost server so that it won't require the password to run ghost.exe? Or do I need to write something to make it log on with the username and password in the boot disk? I've never done anything like this before and I'm really kind of stuck. Any advice or insight would be great. Thanks.

Thank Post

Re: Ghost boot disk issue???

Only ever come across it asking for a password when you want to ghost via unicast/direct

Slap it on multicast if your switches will support it - wont need a password then

(ps welcome)

Thank Post

Thanks for the prompt reply.

It's when the boot disk is running. It maps the drive to the ghost server and then gives me an error that the password is incorrect. Then it prompts me for the password. I type it in and then it boots into ghost.

This is my first experience with working with any of this aside from ghosting across a non AD network with a server that was built for us so I'm in over my head a little bit.

I set up ghost to multicast before I try to boot in so I really don't think that is the problem. It might be something with the script in the boot disk, but honestly I don't know. I found it online and it auto detects the nic and uses the correct driver. I have yet to find a computer on this campus that it will not boot and that's a blessing because on the other ghost server that was built for us we have to create a boot file for each computer type or a boot disk depending on the nic.

Thank Post

***Update***

I never did get the boot disk to go through without prompting for a password, but I used it anyway. I can update that at any time once I get the batch file working right.

I did, however, manage to PXE into RIS and then boot on into ghost as planned to create and restore images today. More than a day and a half early based on the goals I set for this project. Aside from having to learn to edit script this was a rather easy project.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'll have to look at mine but I was PXE booting and using the PXE drivers to setup a multicast restore or create image from the imaging server this doesn't need to map a drive however I'm sure I had exactly the same problem I'll have a look at my configure when I get in and I can PM the zipped version of the disks if you want? I believe you are PXE booting then using ghost consol from this to go to specific images on a shared drive? I'll double check but I think I have a working PXE driver UNDI boot disk that does that (if not I'll create one!).

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread