+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Microsoft training advice in Technical; I'm looking at becoming Microsoft certified, and wondering if anyone could give me some advice. At the moment I am ...

Thank Post

Microsoft training advice

I'm looking at becoming Microsoft certified, and wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

At the moment I am a standard IT Technician working in a 11-18 school. I am 23, but I don't have much real word experience, some 3 years in total.

Virtualisation is something that's really interesting me at the moment, such as Citrix, VMWare or Terminal Services. However I don't know what basic Microsoft qualifications to get, or whether they would be necessary for virtualisation.

Is it worth getting Microsoft qualifications first, as at the moment I am pretty ropey on setting up servers, etc. I could blunder my way through it, but like I said I don't have any experience or knowledge in it.

Can anyone help me decided what, if any, Microsoft qualifications would help me?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I personally wouldn't bother with Microsoft certifications myself and I've been in the industry 10 years now.

They are nice to have but real world experience is much better(a lot of the Microsoft teachings have little relevance to the real world and are purely technical, sometimes frustratingly so)

This doesn't mean they are not worth it, just that I think your time could be spent better doing something else like a computer science degree or building a test network yourself.

I learnt about virtualization in 2 days just reading the internet and installing a 2008 R2 server, its actually incredibly simple when you get down to it. Hyper-V is just a role you install and has very few options.

EDIT: I learned alot from this site actually http://virtualboytv.com/default.aspx
    Last edited by zag; 24th November 2011 at 03:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice, though I did a Fd Sc in Applied computing, and it holds absolutely no weight in terms of qualifications. All the jobs are after MS qualifications in this or that.

Even if I did self teach...how do I then prove on paper that I can do it?

Thank Post
    I disagree completely. At 23, qualifications do mean a lot not only to yourself but also at this time in your career, they show to a potential employer that you're not a complete cowboy.

Microsoft do loads of qualifications and there are many wasys of training for them. Im sure someone on here will be able to tell you more than I can.

Thank Post
    I am about to start a course with Reed the employment agency, doing my MCITP Server Admin and Enterprise Admin and CompTIA A+. Only reason im doing Server and enterprise admin is that some of the course links into both so thought I may aswell. im in the same situation at CHiLL, im 24 been in IT since 2008, all I have is an NVQ Level 2, and now its time to start building up the qualifications, not just for future possibilities (as im happy where I am) mainly for my own mind I have experience and skills, but where are the quals to show for it, and just to be able to say ive done it is good enough for me.

Weather its for future progression, or to just do the course to show what you can do, go for it.

I have found that many person specs you look at ask for some kind of qualifications, so its well worth it

Thank Post
    like any qualification they can open doors but are in and of themselves not that useful (my opinion anyway)

ive got a ms qual in windows 7 (we needed 2 people at work with them to hit some ms target to sell stuff or something) so i got the course book on my kindle did naff all else for 8-9 days or so then went and too the exam at a local exam centre and passed.

As to what will help you depends where you aim to go i did a win7 one as in a week thats the one i thought i had the best chance of passing but if id of had the time id of done on of the server 08 ones that go towards the bigger qualification (im dbating doing it now as the win7 one counts towards it but i just dont think i can stand reading another ms course book they arnt exactly light bed time reading lol

Thank Post
    I got put on the VCP (Virtualisation Certified Professional) course which VMware do at our networking academy. Apparently the course covered 60% of the exam and the rest I would have to self teach / read. But I can't really be bothered with getting the peice of paper. But to be a VCP you MUST do that course, so in future I could get the cert if I wanted.

Best way would be set up some stuff yourself, Hyper-V, VMware, it's pretty basic the common stuff - but can go pretty in-depth.

As for Microsoft Quals, depends on what you want to do. A Server 2008 one would be your best bet, but look on the Microsoft site and see which one you would like to do the most.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread