+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, MS Office 2010 Installation Woes in Technical; I have to deploy MS Office 2010 to all workstations in school. I am using the script below but I ...

Thank Post

MS Office 2010 Installation Woes

I have to deploy MS Office 2010 to all workstations in school. I am using the script below but I have come across a rather odd problem. I have found that Office 2010 will install on the majority of workstations but on a few it won't. After 10 minutes it will slowly start deleting everything in the Office 14 folder after the installation. It will leave, however, a few .DLL files behind. I've restarted the workstations time and time again for successful reinstallation but nothing comes of it.

In the Event Viewer log I get the following:

Product: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 -- Error 1406. Setup cannot write the value to the registry key \Software\Classes\Interface\{4A99C8DB-1308-448B-9EE9-AA6A9AC050E7}. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS, see C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Setup00000a20\PSS10R.CHM.
    And

Product: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 - Update '{11B6C57C-0A8A-4B89-BDC1-25365D05A7AF}' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages.

Has anyone come across this before?

Code:
    setlocal

REM *********************************************************************
    REM Environment customization begins here. Modify variables below.

REM Get ProductName from the Office product's core Setup.xml file, and then add "office14." as a prefix. 
    set ProductName=Office14.ProPlus

REM Set DeployServer to a network-accessible location containing the Office source files.
    set DeployServer=\\servername\applications$\MicrosoftOffice2010

REM Set ConfigFile to the configuration file to be used for deployment (required)
    set ConfigFile=\\servername\applications$\MicrosoftOffice2010\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

REM Set LogLocation to a central directory to collect log files.
    set LogLocation=\\servername\applications$\MicrosoftOffice2010\Office2010LogFiles

REM Deployment code begins here. Do not modify anything below this line.

IF NOT "%ProgramFiles(x86)%"=="" (goto ARP64) else (goto ARP86)

REM Operating system is X64. Check for 32 bit Office in emulated Wow6432 uninstall key
    :ARP64
    reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%ProductName%
    if NOT %errorlevel%==1 (goto End)

REM Check for 32 and 64 bit versions of Office 2010 in regular uninstall key.(Office 64bit would also appear here on a 64bit OS) 
    :ARP86
    reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%ProductName%
    if %errorlevel%==1 (goto DeployOffice) else (goto End)

REM If 1 returned, the product was not found. Run setup here.
    :DeployOffice
    start /wait %DeployServer%\setup.exe /adminfile %DeployServer%\Updates\Office2010.msp
    echo %date% %time% Setup ended with error code %errorlevel%. >> %LogLocation%\%computername%.txt

REM If 0 or other was returned, the product was found or another error occurred. Do nothing.
    :End

Endlocal

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    To me it clearly looks like a permissions issue. The Office 2010 installation cannot write information to the registry, so it's rolling back the installation.

Either compare the registry permissions with another machine or re-image the machine and then attempt to deploy Office 2010 again (better solution).

In future I would recommend deploying Office 2010 as part of a new image. I have done this numerous times with success.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

Chuckster (20th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi We had the same problem. What we found was that the chance of success appeared to depend on if the machine already had office on but an older version and the number of pc's being upgraded.

We opted to work in small batches and remove the old version first by unlinking the old policy and rebooting before linking the new offce policy.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    To me it clearly looks like a permissions issue. The Office 2010 installation cannot write information to the registry, so it's rolling back the installation.

Either compare the registry permissions with another machine or re-image the machine and then attempt to deploy Office 2010 again (better solution).

In future I would recommend deploying Office 2010 as part of a new image. I have done this numerous times with success.
    I was afraid someone was going to say that, Michael, and you just confirmed my suspicions.

Giving the user group Everyone full permission to the registry area proved futile. I tried giving full control to the Installer folder, the temp folder and that did zilch for me.

Running the command msiexec /unregister and then msiexec /regserver also proved fruitless. I have just created a new image with Office 2010 and gonna deploy that first thing Monday morning to the workstations that continue to fail to install Office.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi We had the same problem. What we found was that the chance of success appeared to depend on if the machine already had office on but an older version and the number of pc's being upgraded.

We opted to work in small batches and remove the old version first by unlinking the old policy and rebooting before linking the new offce policy.

Richard
    I uninstalled Office 2003 and Office 2007 where applicable and a majority of the workstations did manage to install Office 2010 whilst a minority failed. A re-imaged station does the trick but it's just the unnecessary hassle of taking a workstation offline for x amount of mins/hours to get it right.

Thank Post
    It's been a while since I've installed Office 2010 manually, but I thought it gave the option(s) to uninstall all previous Office editions before installing Office 2010.

It's also recommended (if you haven't done so) to copy SP1 to the Updates folder.

Thank Post
    Hi I know it took us weeks to complete our school here. I did find one other strange thing in if you log on as an admin and run the script it runs with no problems.

Richard

Thank Post
    You can use that script as a startup script and it works OK... reboots 1/2 way through to do some config (if removing old versions of Office beforehand)

Tried to see if I could do it as a Shutdown script (logic being it's more convenient for staff to leave a machine to shut down than it is to wait ages for it to start up) but due to the reboot in the middle it doesn't work properly (unless you do a 2nd shutdown to finish off)

Thank Post
    It's been a while since I've installed Office 2010 manually, but I thought it gave the option(s) to uninstall all previous Office editions before installing Office 2010.

It's also recommended (if you haven't done so) to copy SP1 to the Updates folder.
    I've created an MSP file that does remove all previous versions of Office and I have also incorporated SP1 to the updates folder. Needless to say, although it does remove all versions of Office, on some workstations it will fail to install 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi I know it took us weeks to complete our school here. I did find one other strange thing in if you log on as an admin and run the script it runs with no problems.

Richard
    Logging in as the administrator is also the same deal as running it as a startup script. No matter what I do Office 2010 will install but three quaters of the way it will uninstall itself and fail.

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    You can use that script as a startup script and it works OK... reboots 1/2 way through to do some config (if removing old versions of Office beforehand)

Tried to see if I could do it as a Shutdown script (logic being it's more convenient for staff to leave a machine to shut down than it is to wait ages for it to start up) but due to the reboot in the middle it doesn't work properly (unless you do a 2nd shutdown to finish off)
    I use it purely use it as a startup script and nothing else. I have tried other scripts in the past before as a shutdown scipt but, for me, it's always been a hit or a miss.

Thank Post
    Generaly when I've had this I've reimaged the machine. But first double check they're running Service Pack 3.

Thank Post
    When i had to install office 2007 across all my machines i created a new user and set the logon script to a batch file that installed the software then rebooted the machine. This worked fine and using classroom monitoring software i was able to log most machines on in one go.

Thank Post

Its gives you the option to upgrade the old version. Its tries to uninstall and then reinstall but on some of my machines leaves loads of bits in the registry and in add and remove programs.

Richard

Thank Post
    It's probably a good excuse to re-image workstations, or alternatively install Office 2007 SP3. It still has some life left in it, but Office 2010 to me seems a more polished product.

It is the second generation of the 'ribbon menu' after all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread