+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Outlook with Mandatory Profiles in Technical; I've finally managed to get Outlooks to remember it's settings on my machine even though I am using mandatory profiles. ...
    Thank Post

Outlook with Mandatory Profiles

I've finally managed to get Outlooks to remember it's settings on my machine even though I am using mandatory profiles. All I did was simply to redirect the Application Data folder in Group Policy to my home folder on the server. However, albeit it is remembering my settings on my computer in my office. If I log in anywhere else, I don't get my outlook. Is there anything that I can do to get it to work regardless of where I log in?

Thank Post

Re: Outlook with Mandatory Profiles

I would look at FlexProfile Kit which lets you create a sort of hybrid roaming/mandatory profile.

Thank Post

Isn't there an option in Outlook where your email is internet based. That way you can check it anywhere much like with yahoo, etc. You have to set up the account again, I believe. I don't think it's something you can simply change on an existing account. Also, I believe for that you have to click the box to leave a copy on the server.

Hmmm......now I have to go play with Outlook because it's been a while since I set it up that way. Since we have our own mail servers I found it was much easier to just set up the accounts on each machine where they leave a copy on the server for the roaming staff.

Thank Post

The internet based Outlook option is OWA. One option is to install Office using the Custom Installation Wizard.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...401701033.aspx

Thank Post

i used the customisation wizard when i moved to mandatory profiles you can put something like %usernaem% in the username field. updated my office install point and then had to "repair" all my deployed copies a bit of a nightmare but it did work. when move from my current 2003 server to a 2007 server i guess i will have to do that again!!

Thank Post

Right I finally got this working. If anyone else is interested. It goes something like this.

I created a new domain account with admin privaleges called "EmailTest" and assigned it a roaming profile. I logged in, changed the desktop to how I wanted it and then started Outlook. I set it up without email support so that it would create the PST file. It created it in "C:\Documents and Settings\EmailTest\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"

I moved the PST out of that folder and into a temp folder. (Move the file do not leave a copy in the folder)

I then mapped a drive (H:) to a temp share on the server. Created a folder called Outlook and put the PST in there. When I started up Outlook, it complained that the PST can't be found. So, I pointed it to the new location (H:\Outlook\Outlook.pst)

Then closed Outlook, removed the drive mapping and restarted Outlook. Again it complained that the PST couldn't be found, but it was looking in the new location of H:\Outlook\

The reason I used H: is because we map a drive to the users My Documents folder called H:

Log off, rename the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man and there you have it. Anytime a new user will log in with the new profile Outlook will automatically look in H:\Outlook\ for the PST file. All you have to do is create a folder called Outlook in the users My Document and put the base PST that you copied orginally into that folder.

Thank Post

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Yes I am, just because it is not supported, that doesn't mean it can't be done. Also, my boss refuses to buy Exchange, so I have to find a work around and this is it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000
    Also, my boss refuses to buy Exchange, so I have to find a work around and this is it.
    I used to hate Exchange, but since 2003, it's a doddle to install, backup and restore. For small sites it can happily coexist on existing servers provided sufficient resources. I've got it running (albeit temporarily), on a virtual 2K3 server hosted on a Core 2 Duo PC at a large primary school with no problems.

At sites that don't want to run Exchange, I'm considering the Outlook PST Backup Plugin. With the possibility of a Rsync or Robocopy based startup script to mirror all .PST files up to a location on a server.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000
    Also, my boss refuses to buy Exchange, so I have to find a work around and this is it.
    I used to hate Exchange, but since 2003, it's a doddle to install, backup and restore. For small sites it can happily coexist on existing servers provided sufficient resources. I've got it running (albeit temporarily), on a virtual 2K3 server hosted on a Core 2 Duo PC at a large primary school with no problems.

At sites that don't want to run Exchange, I'm considering the Outlook PST Backup Plugin. With the possibility of a Rsync or Robocopy based startup script to mirror all .PST files up to a location on a server.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to install Exchange, besides it's industry standard and would be perfect for my personal professional development. Like I said, it's my Anti-Microsoft Boss. So, it looks like we have to make do in other ways. If I was in charge, I'd go for Exchange straight away.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

anti-Microsoft boss makes life difficult! If it was an objection on grounds of cost then it's easy to overcome - the time wasted in trying to get another system to work easily pays for Exchange!

Exchange is by no means perfect, but it is easy to use and OWA together with Outlook just makes it every easy to get email anywhere.

A couple of things which might be alternatives are http://www.zimbra.com/ and http://www.open-xchange.com/

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread