+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Monitor/view emails in Exchange 2003 in Technical; At one of the primary schools i go to they have exchange 2003 installed. The head has asked if there ...
    Thank Post

Monitor/view emails in Exchange 2003

At one of the primary schools i go to they have exchange 2003 installed. The head has asked if there is a way for emails to be monitored/accessed for a certain user. He seems to think that this certain users is abusing the email system and they want o monitor the content of the emails being sent out.

Now i know this could be a violation of the users privacy but i have checked the AUP and it doe state that users emails can and will be monitored for areas of misuse and inappropriate use.

Can this be done in any way? I have never installed exchange myself so know very little about it.

Thank Post

Re: Monitor/view emails in Exchange 2003

Technically, yes, in ADUC, open the user's property pages and select the Mailbox Rights button, which is under Exchange Advanced, or something like that. You can grant other user's access to the mailbox from here.

Thank Post

Also you can make all email sent from that user to be invisibly CC'd to another address

Thank Post

Also you can make all email sent from that user to be invisibly CC'd to another address
    How do you do this?

Thank Post

Thank Post

As we do here I have an archive user setup with a mailbox and from within exchange I have a copy of every email sent to that user also.

This way if I need to find any emails from a user it is simply done via a search.

If you are an Exchange admin you can also access the mailbox directly via the OWA frontend goto http://yourexchangeserver/exchange/username this way you do not need to fiddle with the permissions within ADUC.

Thank Post
    Hi, i was just about to ask the same question really.

I have searched for this but not really had much joy.
    I want to be able to view a users email account so i can check thier emails that they have sent and recieved. I have full admin rights but cannot see a way of doing it other than:

1: Changing users password and logging onto the email as them
    2: Sending copies of all future emails to another account but this can cause issues with space if many accounts (logginig)
    3: Trying to restore a backup of the email to another user that i have set up, but can see many issues with this possibly not working

Is there any other easier way of just looking at the emails?

We are using exchange 2003

ICTNUT i have tried your post but it does not grant me access it just prompts me with the log on screen.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    Technically, yes, in ADUC, open the user's property pages and select the Mailbox Rights button, which is under Exchange Advanced, or something like that. You can grant other user's access to the mailbox from here.
    This is the way we do it, we have to add the user to out global address list to add their email mail box to an admins outlooks but thats easy. Just add the account of who needs to see it.

Also make sure your AUP covers it otherwise your opening up a can of worms

Thank Post
    We "journal" the emails here - its OK - but you have to be aware of the amount of disk space its going to chew up

Thank Post
    I know this thread is old, but I stumbled upon it looking for something else. SO I am adding this solution as a reslt for others that may come looking. For those of you want to look at both sent and received emails of a specific individual at will there is a very easy way to do so. Using OWA is the easiest way to do this. You can log in to OWA and at the end of the URL add /<username> (i.e. /jdoe) If you have rights this will open thier box in OWA for you to paruse at will.

Thank Post
    Also noting this is old, I have a question: our overworked HR mgr gave the admin password for our server to a junior employee in a desperate effort to get the system back up. Can this permit the employee to monitor emails from anyone in the company?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread