+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, IIS & Exchange? in Technical; Is it possible to use an Exchange server as a web server? As I would like to look at getting ...

Thank Post

IIS & Exchange?

Is it possible to use an Exchange server as a web server?

As I would like to look at getting exchange over Squirrelmail. I currently have one linux server with apache and squirrelmail. As I still need the site and still want for it all to be done internally.
    So for example I have a static site, with about 30 pages. Would it be possible to use exchange, and have the site on the same server in the Inet root?

Im not really very good with windows hosting, so is this advisable and will it be any problems? Can it be done?

Can you get to the web root on an exchange server?

Thank Post

Re: IIS & Exchange?

Yes you can host a single site on an exchange server as IIS is already installed and up and running. However if you are hosting a site that is going to be heavily used then it will imapct on the performance of the exchange server itself.

To get a site up and running follow this guide http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323972 which also has a comparison between apache and iis.

You do not need to have the site in the IIS webroot as you can place the site itself anywhere.

[note]
    I will point out that adding a website to the current exchange setup could break your OWA/OMA setup if done incorrectly, if you are unsure of anything ask.
    [/note]

Thank Post

Thanks, the site is static (HTML) and does not get many visitors as it is just the company site.
    Know I know that I can do it, I have a few more questions.

How much is it to set up an exchange server i don't really have any clue about the windows side of things?

What sort of spec server do you need for an exchange wihich will serve about 50 users? How much will it be to buy a server an software?

How hard is it to set up an exchange, I know how mail systems work and web principles so I know how to set these things up. But the company does not have a built in network just lots of stand alone computers. You can just set the users up on exchange right? You do not need to link it with active directory?

I would appreciate someone giving me an overview of the set up.

Thanks!

Thank Post

i don't really have any clue about the windows side of things?
    I really would seek some advice from someone who has played with this before, it's not just a case of setting it up but the intergration from within your network, what your expectations are, and if the costs involved are going to be worth it.

A quick look at a couple of sites shows MS Exchange Server plus 25 Clients is currently going for around £4,500 +VAT <- these are non education prices mind.

I think you need to decide of this is really that way to go or can you do what you need using the skill set that you have already.

Thank Post

Well They want to put it in and have asked for me to look at it. Squirrelmail is pretty basic, and we really want an exchange solution.

I was just wondering about the sort of set up an exchange has? Doesn't it need two servers? one for backup?

What sort of spec do you need for exchange?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Exchange is expensive. Have you considered the open-source Zimbra instead?

Thank Post

no you don't need 2 servers, I have a single exchange server serving nearly 1800 mailboxes.

The setup of the exchange server or servers depend on what you wish to accomplish and will grately change the spec you need.

If you check out the Microsoft website you can get the basic spec for the server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread