+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Strange error occuring. in Technical; No key logging software. I can see the last person who logged onto each machine, but there's no pattern of ...

Thank Post

Re: Strange error occuring.

No key logging software. I can see the last person who logged onto each machine, but there's no pattern of users on affected machines.

Yes students do have access to removable storage like USB keys, this was deamed necessary. I've been unsucessfull is stopping them running EXE files from these as well, so at the moment the kids can run anything they like if it's on their flash drive. We do have protection on our server that stops them storing .EXE, .BAT, .COM and other executable files in their home areas, the minute it sees a disallowed extension it deletes the file.

It's easier to re-image the machines using RIS than taking them to bits to replace. I just looked at the winlogon.exe file on an affected machine, and the file size and date etc. seem to be correct when compared to a machine that's working properly.

I've only had one more report of this error, so hopefully that'll be the last I see of it. Still interested to try and find what caused it in the first place.

Mike.

Thank Post

yeh, if you do find out would you let us know. Intresting

Thank Post

Mike,

You can prevent installation of software from removable devices from:
    User configuration
    Administrative templates
    Windows Components
    Windows installer
    prevent removable media source for any install

Kev

Thank Post
    Having exactly the same issue here. Did you ever find a resolution? We would be extremely grateful. This seems to have happened since we installed SP3, but not necessarily the cause.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    I have had a couple of instances where this has happened it seems that one of the applications has either had a problem installing and therefore cannot be read from memory on start up thus causing this issue if you find the offending app then re-install this should go away or re-image whichever the quickest.

6. Thanks to bossman from:

_Bat_ (1st October 2009)

Thank Post
    Am I doing something wrong? If i set it as say 4pm, If I log on any time after that ( even 30 mins ) it will give the warning and then shut down. But if I leave it at logon screen it just sits there.

Ive looked through the threads, Im not getting any errors but it just sits there looking pretty.

Thank Post
    I'm had the exact same issue for some time now , it happens intermittently and to random machines just after you get to the login screen. Only happens when on network & if you leave network cable out until login screen then it logs in ok.

I've tried everything i can think of , reimaged , updated drivers for NIC , installed second NIC , removed / readded from domain , re-registered dns..checked event logs on server , everything else you can think of...

It even happened to a VM and also to a brand new reimaged PC as soon as it was plugged into network..

Anyone have any thoughts ?

Thank Post
    weirdly enough its working, i made sure group policy settings were going to the PC by right clicking the pc and getting the details.
    Changed the count down to 20 seconds and made sure the clock was synching with the server.
    also made sure the software deployed to it alright through GPO. So yeah all working now, even get a beep when the PC has got the shutdown signal.

So lucky here its working a treat. Fantastic bit of software.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12