+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Problems with GPO settings after changing them. in Technical; I recently changed the settings on a OU that contains certain staff. Basically i changed the redirection settings. My documents ...
    Thank Post

Problems with GPO settings after changing them.

I recently changed the settings on a OU that contains certain staff. Basically i changed the redirection settings. My documents was always set to redirect to their network share.

Now as we use roaming profiles were were having issues of staff saving large files to their desktops then complaining it was taking ages to log on and off. So i decided to redirect these to to their desktop folder in their profile, while i was on i redirected the application data as well. ....this is when the problems started. First there is an issue with application data and redirection on a XP SP2 machine that MS acknowledge and have released a patch for which you need to phone up for. Then as staff moved from room to room they complained of loosing desktop icons (oversight on my part here) So after explaining about refreshing the desktop to get them back and the same with their IE favorites i decided it was not worth the hassle.

I then change the GPO settings back for application data and also desktop to what they were. But still these settings still seem to be taking afect. I have done a GPOupdate/ force and its nt done much. This has been going on for over a week now and still affects several staff.

Can any one give any advice?

Thank Post

Re: Problems with GPO settings after changing them.

still these settings still seem to be taking afect. I have done a GPOupdate/ force and its nt done much.
    In the group policy editor, make sure that 'Move the folder to the new location' box is ticked under the Folder Redirection settings.

So i decided to redirect these to to their desktop folder in their profile, while i was on i redirected the application data as well.
    This will not solve the problem of these large folders roaming with the profile. They should be redirected to a location *outside* of the profile (to another network share, for example).

Personally, I would not bother to redirect 'Application Data'. It always seems to cause more problems than it solves.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread