+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Allowing access to a single folder on C: in Technical; I have a GPO that 'restricts access' to C: ( User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows ...

Thank Post

Allowing access to a single folder on C:

I have a GPO that 'restricts access' to C: (User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer).

I want to have a folder called C:\LocalApps that can be linked to from the Start Menu. This folder will then contain shortcuts to those stupid programs that people insist on having on their laptops (digital photo albums, some obscure CD-writing software, etc.).

I have set the permissions on the folder to allow 'Users' to read and execute but the GPO is overiding it. I know I must have missed something but what do I do?

Thank Post

Re: Allowing access to a single folder on C:

OK found a workaround - which is probably better in hindsight.

I have extended my startup script to copy the contents of said Local Apps folder onto a share (in a folder with the same name as the computer - using %computername%).

I have then changed the Start Menu shortcut so that it points to \\server\share\%computername% and this seems to work. The files synchronise and those 'special' apps that the staff cannot live without are available.

Thank Post

UPDATE!

My ingenious plan didn't work. Although the shortcut pointed to \\server\share\%computername% it opened the folder for computer lft3-01 no matter which computer I was on :?

Instead I have written a little batch file to pull the folder up.

Thank Post

I'd have given them a simple "No - tough luck! Laptop/PC's are cheap these days you know..." lol

But good work nonetheless, though I dont *quite* see what you are doing exactly lmao

N.

Thank Post

@tarquel: I have a re-directed start menu for the staff. Most staff have a laptop which they are permitted to use for personal stuff (within reason) such as using a digi camera or browsing the Internet.

The users of said laptops all go off and buy 'el cheapo' digital cameras which come with some random piece of software which is (of course) vital to their very being - even though they could just plug the camera in and let Windows manage the pictures (better than most of this software IMHO)!

You also inevitably end up with a variety of DVD players and burning software depending upon the manufacturer of said laptops.

All this fluffy software is unique to an individual's PC, so I needed somewhere to put the shortcuts.

I added the following to my startup script:
    Code:
    rem Copying shortcuts for local apps
    mkdir "\\svr1\NETLOGON\%computername%"
    if exist "C:\Local Apps" copy "C:\Local Apps\*.*" "\\svr2\Profiles\%computername%\"
    ... and created the following batch file:
    Code:
    @echo off
    echo Opening local application shortcuts
    call "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE" "\\svr2\profiles\%computername%"
    I created a shortcut on the Start Menu to the batch file and made it look like a program group so that it isn't too daunting for the lusers.

Thank Post

I see.....

I just have the shortcuts to any possible program categorised in the redirected start menu

I know its a touch tacky but they dont mind too much - they get used to whats on where - and its only the teachers that use the DVD software on a few choice machines - there isnt really any cd burners really on the cur network [i usually burn anything that needs burning].

We only have three staff laptops which are permenantly with 3 teachers - d. head has two of them!! lol one on admin and one on cur lol

So theres no real problem with that.

I wonder where the special needs laptop is as no one has mentioned it and i have wiped it since the big network change over [ip range thing in another post]

hmmmm......

Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread