+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Flash Player 11 and Hector in Technical; I think this issue may have been fixed. I have just installed Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55 direct from the Adobe ...
    Thank Post

Fixed??! Using Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55

I think this issue may have been fixed. I have just installed Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55 direct from the Adobe website (so latest version). I've noticed that the last few updates have asked me to close Hector before they proceed. Anyway, went to the website just now, chose Run and the downloader/installer looked like it had failed, so i exited Hector and it sprang into life again and now Hector doesn't have a black box around him any more.

I suspect the msi installer that I have just got licensed to use may be falling over due to Hector running. I suppose that won't be an issue when I use it through GPO though, as it will install the msi before the user logs in and Hector starts up. Off to test...

2. Thanks to Andie from:

elsiegee40 (28th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    I'll have a fiddle tomorrow.

Thanks Andie

Thank Post
    Definitely fixed, although you have to turn Hector off before you install the Flash update. I've just got a license to distribute Flash player for the school now, so have the latest msi downloaded yesterday. Double clicking the msi was failing to install with Hector running. I have just logged on as admin, exited Hector, run the msi, and it installed fine, restarted Hector and he is clear of the black box. I think he may have been the reason that a lot of the directly run Flash updates have been falling over. So there is still a slight issue of conflict there, depending how you do the install. I need to check the two test laptops that I put the msi on using Group policy, to see if they've installed properly, after the classes have vacated.

Thank Post
    I can confirm as well. I've been manually updating this morning and watching the black squares disappear
    Just as well we're a small school.

Thank Post
    I can confirm that the latest msi is working through Group Policy/Active Directory fine. I have set it up in Computer Settings policy as an assigned application. It installs properly and Hector is now swimming freely again!

7. Thanks to Andie from:

elsiegee40 (29th November 2011)

Thank Post
    It's probably best to revert back to flash player 10, since there wouldn't be any real immediate benefit from using it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rdokoye View Post
    It's probably best to revert back to flash player 10, since there wouldn't be any real immediate benefit from using it.

Why? It's working now.

Thank Post

Oh dear! Possibly still a problem here.

After thinking all was well, I discovered machines that won't run .swf files in the browser of logged in users. Some machines did though. Checked Flash versions using the test page on the Adobe website, and all the same version of Flash installed. Hector running fine. Found .swf will run as administrator on affected machines.

After tearing my hair out trying various things, I began to doubt the active directory/GP msi install had run properly. So I manually ran the msi on one machine, selected Remove from the installer, then closed Hector and manually ran the msi again. Installed fine. Logged out and back in as a user, and now the .swf files will run as the user. Tried this on several machines now, testing for the error then uninstalling and reinstalling manually. Fixed each time.

Have checked my setup for the msi install through GP and I have done it correctly. Not sure whether this issue is still being affected by Hector or not???

Have started another thread about GP install of latest Flash just in case it isn't Hector's fault this time:

Flash Player 11 msi install through GP - is there a problem?
    Last edited by Andie; 12th December 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've only just come across this BB looking for a fix to the very same problem. After the mention of Flash I've checked and all my PC's are on the same version ie Flash 11. The strange thing about this problem is that is machine specific, all running XP SP3 (haven't tried WIN 7 yet). The older machines are okay and it only effects the latest PCs (2 years old) so would appear to be hardware prob. Can find no solutions to this as yet

Thank Post
    We only have Hector on XP SP3 kit. I fixed it by exiting Hector (right lick on the system tray icon) and then doing a manual install of Flash 11.2

Thank Post
    Yes, the problem with Hector here was on XP SP3 machines, and all machines seemed affected. The Flash version that fixes the black box issue is 11.1.102.55 and above. The msi AD/GP install or manually installing Flash after exiting Hector will fix the Hector black box issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    After thinking all was well, I discovered machines that won't run .swf files in the browser of logged in users. Some machines did though. Checked Flash versions using the test page on the Adobe website, and all the same version of Flash installed. Hector running fine. Found .swf will run as administrator on affected machines.

After tearing my hair out trying various things, I began to doubt the active directory/GP msi install had run properly. So I manually ran the msi on one machine, selected Remove from the installer, then closed Hector and manually ran the msi again. Installed fine. Logged out and back in as a user, and now the .swf files will run as the user. Tried this on several machines now, testing for the error then uninstalling and reinstalling manually. Fixed each time.

Have checked my setup for the msi install through GP and I have done it correctly. Not sure whether this issue is still being affected by Hector or not???

Have started another thread about GP install of latest Flash just in case it isn't Hector's fault this time:

Flash Player 11 msi install through GP - is there a problem?
    We have decided to remove Hector as from Easter, as he is causing problems with the deployment of Flash player and the developers haven't yet come up with a solution. We will just have to train the children to minimise their browser window on the laptops if anything nasty comes up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12