+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Copy and Paste from Google into Word 2010 in Technical; Over summer holidays we rolled out Windows 7 and Office 2010. Users are complaining that they can not simply copy ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post

Copy and Paste from Google into Word 2010

Over summer holidays we rolled out Windows 7 and Office 2010.

Users are complaining that they can not simply copy and paste from Google Images into Word (or any Office product) any more.

We keep telling them to Right click and 'Save Picture As' is correct way to do this.

We use Internet Explorer and Firefox web browsers and are behind a proxy box that needs authentication to go on internet after user logs in.

When a user trys to copy an Image direct from Bing, Yahoo or Google it just wants to copy a link.

Anyone experiencing same issues.

Thank Post
    Some users here were complaining about the same thing, I found if they click the image they want first so that it enlarges they can then copy and paste it.

hope this helps.

Thank Post
    yes because I think it's by design. You can do it with google chrome (right click/copy image) and it will paste directly into word but I think IE and FF handle the images as links because that's what they are.

You only get the full picture by clicking on the link in google images and going to the site that hosts it.

Once there you can right click on the overlayed image and copy and paste as usual. See screenshot below for this
    google images.png

Thank Post
    We just keep getting our poxy proxy authentication box coming up all the time and others we just get the link text. I have tried installing Chrome and the same thing happens.

I just noticed that you get a red Prohibited arrow when you try and drag into a Word 2010 document but when you drag onto desktop it pastes ok.

Thank Post
    Interesting development, when copying images after deselecting the proxy in IE > Connections > LAN settings I can copy off Google Images and paste into Word without issue.

Thank Post
    Another update, can copy and paste into wordpad but not Word 2010. We have the GPO's on the server for Office/Word, knowing microsoft they have put the GPO for this kind of thing deep inside another setting. Anyone got any ideas.

Thank Post
    Yet another update, sorry, had a bit of time to test different things finally today.

Results as both Staff & Students:
    PowerPoint 2010: No problem, can right click Image and paste into document
    Publisher 2010: Had authentication box come up once then dissapeared completely and did not return
    Word 2010: Authentication box will not go away, the only option is to 'Save Picture As' then import into word document.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    We use Internet Explorer and Firefox web browsers and are behind a proxy box that needs authentication to go on internet after user logs in.
    I'm guessing if a user takes a notebook home and performs copy/paste, it works correctly as there's no proxy? If yes, what proxy solution are you using and can you bypass the authentication requirement?

9. Thanks to Michael from:

Davit2005 (18th October 2011)

Thank Post
    We use an old Navaho (TeamCat) box for proxy authentication (not my choice, jus what I've inherited). From testing have found that if I open IE and deselect the authentication box we don't have a problem, understandably Students and Staff do not have this functionality. Have also found I can drag images direct to desktop.

We sometimes do have students bring documents in from home which have images that they try and copy and paste not realising they are just links and wonder why the Images are blank/authentication issues. So maybe we should jus get them to do the long way, proper way (i.e. Right Click > Save Picture As then insert into document).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread