+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Warning for Windows XP users buying new machines - Hard Drives now 'Advanced Format'. in Technical; As localzuk stated earlier Arthur, it doesn't state anywhere in your source that these support native 4K drives. It could ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    As localzuk stated earlier Arthur, it doesn't state anywhere in your source that these support native 4K drives. It could still be talking about 4K/512byte emulation drives.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Vista's mainstream support is ending in April 2012, so there's still some time yet.
    I would be very surprised if there was a SP3 for Vista, considering Vista won't be getting Internet Explorer 10.

Assuming Internet Explorer 10 comes about a year from now—just as Internet Explorer 9 took about a year from its first Platform Preview at MIX10 to the final release—then, depending on which day of the week the software ships, Windows Vista will either still be in mainstream support when Internet Explorer 10 ships, or will have dropped out of mainstream support by a matter of days, after having been generally available for just over five years.

In contrast, when Windows XP received Internet Explorer 8 on March 29, 2009, it had been on the market for more than seven years, and it too was just on the cusp of losing mainstream support (Windows XP Service Pack 3's mainstream support ended on April 14, 2009). (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the only reason XP got SP3 was because it was so long until the next release of Windows, 7 was realitivly quick after Vista and so they don't feel the same need to keep patching over it. SP3 for Vista would be a good thing as Vista really was not that bad but again I think the court of popular public 'opinion' has killed off Vista so adly that any chance of additional support or life extending has been killed. Just like open booting environments or software that does not rely on an active net connection.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I'm not too surprised Vista won't get IE10. It seems only the flagship OS and the one before it will get IE10. This'll mean just Windows 7, Windows 8 and their server equivalents.

You're probably right Synack, not that I am too worried about Windows Vista. I can literally count on my hand the number of Vista machines I have in a domain!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It could still be talking about 4K/512byte emulation drives.
    You could be right. It's hard to know for sure because the first 4Kn drives won't be available to buy until next year.

Enterprise-class storage products using AF will incorporate the “native” implementation of AF, where data on the AF native hard drive will be passed to the host in the same sector increments as physically stored on the disk media.

Generation One AF native hard drives will employ the 4,096 bytes-per-sector architecture, and are referred to as “AF 4Kn”. Starting 2012, hard drive manufacturers will commence shipment of Generation One AF 4Kn enterprise-class hard drives. (Source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12