+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Weird Outlook Problem in Technical; Having a weird problem with outlook not sending and receiving pop3 emails. All machines in the school are doing the ...
    Thank Post

Weird Outlook Problem

Having a weird problem with outlook not sending and receiving pop3 emails. All machines in the school are doing the same problem!! My county webmail works so i know that the county mail server is ok and i can recieve emails on my iphone.

I am using outlook 2007 on xp. Using smoothwall for all filtering, could it be a setting on this blocking emails from sending? internet is working fine. The problem started yesterday about lunch time but didnt have a chance to have a look yesterday as it was open evening and everyone wanted stupid things setup!!

Ive plugged my machine directly into the county switch in the server room to bypass my smoothwall server and my emails now work.

I also have a second smoothwall express server that i use as well for my 'technicians' filter from county and have tried going through that as well.

Error is :

Task 'SMTP server name - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042109): 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact the server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Thank Post
    have tried all the usual, reboot machine, reboot, switch, reboot smoothwall server, check pop/smtp settings etc.

Having a really bad morning so far and can feel a migraine coming on as well!

Thank Post
    Have county the changed the mail server name?

Thank Post
    nope still the same, even tried putting the ip of the mail server in with no luck. can ping the mail server as well!

Thank Post
    Well if nothings changed at your end and the mail server name hasent changed have county made changes to the mail server pop3 or smtp port numbers?

Thank Post
    no because if i just change what switch my machine is plugged into (our core or county wan) it works without changing any settings

Thank Post
    If you can connect to the main switch and send/receive fine, then the problem must be local. The beginning of your post says 'sending and receiving pop3 emails' but from the error you have there it looks like the problem is just sending, not receiving - is that right? In which case it looks like it's an SMTP problem.

It seems odd that setting change would happen to two smoothwalls at once (assuming the problem occurred with both as of the same moment . . ?) - so do you have any other security things in place that could be affecting this, e.g. desktop firewall profiles? Does a send/receive work if you turn off any desktop firewall?

Thank Post
    Smtp and pop details are the same here. im getting a similar email error on receiving just with an 8 at the end instead of 9.

the second smoothwall is just used by me to access more websites that are blocked by county, its a special filter for technicians with more access.

Firewall is off, tried it on various machines with various users. My machine is win 7 all others are xp and same problem.

Thank Post
    Smoothwall have just remoted in and fixed it for me!! I had accidentally made a change to a setting and this is what was causing the problems!!

Thank Post
    ;-)

. . .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread