+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, The 'SYSTEM' process is taking up all my cpu usage!!! in Technical; Well you could always run Novell NDS on your Linux servers and keep Group Policies. Your better off moving your ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: The 'SYSTEM' process is taking up all my cpu usage!!!

Well you could always run Novell NDS on your Linux servers and keep Group Policies.

Your better off moving your Windows desktops to Linux based thin clients in the long run though.

Thank Post

I think I will stick to the territory I'm used to. I don't want to get into a windows or linux discussion and I think that if you have a head for all that stuff, then 'good on yer'.

I for my part struggled to get a simple fedora installation to work properly as a web server with php and mysql. I dread to think where I would end up trying to run linux servers on the network using Novell NDS for group policy and changing all my desktops to thin client linux.

I will admit, that is probably beyond me unless I was working alongside an expert and was shown the ropes rather than figure it all out my self.

Phew. And all that just to change the dual processor settings!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Feel free to post about your Fedora web server woes in the Linux forum. We'll get you up and running in no time.

Thank Post

Thanks Geoff. I know everyone is raring to help me. Actually, with a lot of help from my brother, I did get fedora up and running, and in the long run it wasn't too difficult. But the problem was, for all the simple things I'm used to doing in windows, I had to go round the houses to get working in Linux. Even to install simple drivers was a nightmare. Every procedure contained had a seperate problem lying just behind it.

At the end of the day, it is all a matter of know how, and if you don't know how, then there is a lot of wasted time that goes with running linux. Not wasted in the fact that you are learning (tho be it the hard way) but wasted in the fact that as a busy technician at work, and a busy father at home, you know you should be doing other things when you find yourself tinkering away in that linux console.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I understand completely. No doubt myself, the Linux forum and your Fedora play box will still be waiting for you when you find time to pick where you left off.

Thank Post

@mark_wood Is this problem still on-going? I don't think this has anything to do with what you have there, but it may be worth invrstigating.

Just check that none of the students / staff have looped a netwok cable back into another point. That it from one network point to another. That happens here once in a while and kills the network and sends the CPU loopy here.

I just thought of it because you were saying it gets worse at lesson time.

Or if you have fixed it, what was it?

Thank Post

Ok update time.

The problem appears to have gone away. Thank for the tip ninjabeaver regarding the network loop trick, I will bear that in mind.

All that I have done to the server is given it a bit of a clean up, removed old shared directories, deleted old files, removed a few unnecessary apps, etc. Whether all that has contributed to an improvement in CPU usage or not I cannot say. All I can say is that from yesterday afternoon, the CPUs have been running efficiently and the SYSTEM process has remained below 10% usage as I would expect it to be.

Thanks for all who have contributed to try and help me and If the problem comes back I will report back to here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just check that none of the students / staff have looped a netwok cable back into another point. That it from one network point to another. That happens here once in a while and kills the network and sends the CPU loopy here.
    You can stop this if you have managed switches. Look for an option called Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_Tree_Protocol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12