+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Removing BGInfo.exe in Technical; Since starting my 1st job in IT this year I have been living with the inherited problem of BGinfo not ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Removing BGInfo.exe

Since starting my 1st job in IT this year I have been living with the inherited problem of BGinfo not working properly, well the head has asked can every member of staff just have the school logo as a background and kids the same with students or staff account clearly displayed in text, sure ive created two wallpapers and set them up in GPO as the active desktop but first I need to finish removing this BGinfo.

I have removed the startup script to run BGinfo and remove the bginfo files, I have also ran the registry removal script for bginfo on a few computers locally to test it out. I'm still getting the background colour set for users and im trying to find out why/where it is stored. Would this be part of the users profile? Or something local on machines from previous log in?

Uninstall registry script:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bgi]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BGInfo.Config.1]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\BGinfo]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\.bgi]
    [-HKEY_LOCAl_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.bgi]
    [-HKEY_LOCAl_MACHINE\Software\Classes\BGInfo.Config.1]
    [-HKEY_USERS\Software\Sysinternals\BGinfo]

Thank Post
    I think its part of the profile, not sure if you can use a network based version to override but. If you create a network based blank version it might get rid of the existing one.

Thank Post
    Do you use mandatory profiles, it could be being launched from the startup section in the startmenu.

There also might be something setup on machines, and it's not being network driven at all. Does it effect all users in the same say, does it show up in msconfig?=

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Profiles are mandatory, it was setup to run a bginfo config file using a logon script for each user which I have removed, it set staff to red wallpaper color (not an image) and pupils to blue with the users logon and computer name showing on screen but it very often didnt show the correct details. I'm pretty sure the background color is saved to the groups mandatory profiles, is there anyway to simply remove this rather then creating new profiles? We only have 3 lots of profiles, \profiles$\staff, \students and \tech.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 28th September 2011 at 11:10 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread