+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Deleting the RECYCLER folder from user home folders? in Technical; I've had a search through here and found some nice ways to empty user recycle bins. But I've noticed these ...

Thank Post

Deleting the RECYCLER folder from user home folders?

I've had a search through here and found some nice ways to empty user recycle bins. But I've noticed these do the same operation as if the user was right-clicking on the recycle bin and clicking Empty Recycle Bin.

I've noticed, even when users do this, the RECYCLER hidden folder in their home folders sometimes still has a large size when right-clicking it and going to Properties. This takes up their space quotas and we get students walking in saying they've emptied their bin. We check their home folder's RECYCLER folder to find it is quite large. We delete it and their space is free again.

Is there any way to run a script, either on user logon, or even just ourselves running a scheduled task, to delete all folders named RECYCLER in user home folders as defined in AD? I believe we would have to use %username% somewhere in the command but am not sure how or if this will work?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if it'd necessarily be a wise idea to do it - you can guarantee that on the day you do it, someone important will have sudden need of that file they deleted yesterday and open up the Recycle Bin to find it empty... I know it seems unlikely given how averse staff are to deleting and tidying, sometimes, but you never know!

If it's not causing a constant and time consuming problem (an hour a day sort of level), I'd be inclined to leave it and just continue dealing with it ad hoc when it causes an issue - as, indeed, I do here.

Thank Post
    Hi Is this what you are after Enable/Disable Recycle Bin

I also think you can do it in gpo here User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer and enable 'Do not move deleted files to the Recycle Bin but I have never done it.

Please be careful this may break this.

Lastly I think there was also a gpo where you could set the recycle bin size.

Richard

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I know it seems unlikely given how averse staff are to deleting and tidying, sometimes, but you never know!
    A few of our staff often try to tidy their work areas but then seem to use the Recycle Bin as extra storage. We once deleted the recycle bin folder for a number of staff to free up space and someone came in and said that a document was missing from their work area. We then asked where the file was located...it was in the recycle bin!!

Thank Post
    Thanks all.

I've worked on a simple command and placed it into a batch file:

rd /s /q "\\server\pathtohomefolder\%username%\recycler "

... and applied it into a GP as a logon script. Works great!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread