So here's a really messed up issue that's just happened this school year startup. I've posted at the Microsoft Technet forums about this issue and still can't find what the route cause is.
Here's the issue copy/pasted:
I've been deploying new Windows XP SP3 images to our labs over the summer and everything has gone very well. However, one set of images, and I don't know if it has previously had a policy deployed to it for hardware restriction [machines are on a Windows Server 2003 domain], is asking to verify every single piece of hardware. I normally sysprep /generalize our machines, and then deploy them using Ghost. Every lab worked fine, booting up, asking what the computer name should be, and using the answer file to configure the rest. Boom. Done.
The problem is the one image I'm deploying to another set of machines. After deploying the image, I started firing up machines to run through the mini-setup. The first unusual thing I noticed was that Windows was prompting for the Windows CD because it needed a file. None of my other images did this, and I thought I had created them the exact same. That's when I noticed the next issue. Upon inserting any USB keyboard/mouse I had lying around, it wouldn't accept them. The computer appeared frozen. But they weren't frozen, it was that I had to use the EXACT SAME keyboard and mouse that I had used while building the image. So for these 70 or so computers, I spent 2 days going around to each machine and plugging the exact same keyboard/mouse set into the machines...in the EXACT same port they were in when I was creating the image for this machine type.
After mini-setup completed, the machines restarted, and upon first logon as a local administrator, I found that EVERY machine was popping up a hardware install verification box, like the one you see for "this hardware has not passed logo testing" when installing a driver...for every device. It prompted me to install the processor, the hard drive, cd-rom drive, ethernet [which I quickly burned a driver cd for to toss into each machine as it asked], several bus controllers, and last but not least, the keyboard and mouse that were actually plugged into that machine. I just had to click "allow" [I think it was allow...you'd think I'd remember by now] on each of those popups since I was already logged in as an administrator, and it just found the drivers on the local machine, except for ethernet, which the machine first prompts for a cd, and then takes the drivers from the local machine somewhere instead [go figure].
Staff can also no longer use their USB flash drives on these machines. They used to be able to insert a flash drive and have it just work, but now it's prompting for my Administrator password on all of these machines. Again, all labs and other computers in the building are unaffected, it's just these computers, and as far as I know, I don't have any policies in place for hardware restriction. The only thing I can think of is that there's a policy that once existed awhile back and the values still reside on the local group policy on this image.
Anybody have any idea of which policy I should be looking for? I'd really really like to get this sorted out and would prefer to not redesign the image from scratch and re-deploy in the middle of a busy season. I'd much rather push out a fix.
Thanks for your time in reading my post!
I've already compared all 3 local policies [Audit Policy, User Rights Assignment, and Security Options] with a machine that works fine, as someone thought maybe the value in User Rights Assignment for "Load and unload all device drivers" was incorrect. But after comparing the 3 policies, EVERY single policy option was the exact same. No difference.
Last edited by link470; 21st September 2011 at 10:12 PM.
I'd edit the original post and add [SOLVED] to the title, but the editing time is quite short for these forums.
Anyway, I found the solution. Actually, I found the solution in another thread on Edugeek! I downloaded the Microsoft Fix It tool from the Microsoft article listed in the thread and deployed it. It worked! Staff can now use USB drives again. I'll definitely be running the Fix it tool on the image again before I re-sysprep it in the future.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)