+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, How do you backup your Server(s)? in Technical; We have a single HP Server supporting the entire school - staff, pupils and office. Backups of key data are ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts

How do you backup your Server(s)?

We have a single HP Server supporting the entire school - staff, pupils and office. Backups of key data are done nightly onto 80GB tape; the job is run overnight from a shadow copy.

This was fine until the drive failed and two replacements later we've succeeded in getting 1 backup last Thursday and since then we've had failure as the Tape has failed to Mount very close to the end of the backup... no the tape isn't full.

It strikes me that sometime 80GB won't be enough space and that schools with bigger servers than ours must have backup solutions. So what do you do? Do you take backups offsite?

We are a tiny school and have a very limited budget, which will affect what we do. However our MIS data is vital, particularly as we are independent and therefore a business. But I've had it in the neck so much about the backups I need some ideas!

Lin

EDIT
    Since this thread we have moved to a 2TB LaCie installed in another building on the opposite end of the site to the server. It's brilliant! We take a monthly tape backup which goes offsite for belt and braces!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 6th February 2008 at 10:57 AM.

Thank Post

Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

LTO2 or NAS

hth

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Backupexec + a removable hard disk. Pretty simple stuff really, but its very effective. Both for data and system states.

Thank Post

A couple of years ago we spent about 8 grand on a dedicated backup server with LTO2 tape drive using Retrospect.

It would back up all data from our servers overnight to the hard disks then copy them to tape through the day.

We then bought 5 new servers.

Within a few months we were having to select what to and, what not to back up.
    It got so that it took so long to do the backup it wouldn't finish in one night, then it wouldn't fit on one tape no matter what we tried but there was noone here to swap it over.

We now backup to external hard disks and use ntbackup. Each server has it's own 500Gb drive (enough for all storage they can hold) connected via USB, it transfers over Friday night and goes offsite on Monday morning.

I think with the implementation of Shadow Copies your only really looking for Disaster Recovery with a backup, and weekly is regular enough for people to not complain when the school's burnt down anyway!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have a 2TB nas box running backup exec 11d with clients running on all 4 of our servers. This backs up nightly (differential), weekly (full), monthly (full), quarterly (full) and yearly (full).

We also have a job which runs weekly to a tape drive so an offsite backup can be made (we alternate a set of tapes between 2 members of staff). We are considering swapping the tape drive for a set of robust external portable hard disks though.

A full backup of all data comes to around 180GB at the moment here, so the tape backup takes a long while (it is an AIT3 Turbo drive).

For the amount of data you're using I would recommend a similar setup (probably not as large). Some form of NAS box plus some proper software to do it all for you.

Thank Post

Unless you're backing up SQL servers don't waste money on third party software, ntbackup performs fine and is even better at Exchange in some cases.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts

I've just had a few minutes to read these. I must admit, I'm lookingat the External Hard Drive possibility - I do this at home. they're small enough to take offsite easily these days.

Lin

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,447 Posts

Ntbackup with backupassist as the setup gui to a 1.5tb raid5 nas.

Full and diff during the week. Full on main server is 180'ish GB

Ben

Thank Post

If you only have one and you have an AD setup i would buy a PC, throw 2003 on it and set up a redundant dc, gc. This will load balance for you and if your dc breaks your not totally hosed.
    Also we use a freedom9 4020. Which is a little NAS about the size of a toaster. You can put 4 hds in it up to 750gig each (3TB). It can do raid5 or raid5 with a failover and you can split it up to do Bare Metal backups and normal NAS operations. All in with HDs it cost us about $2,200USD. And you can put USB 2.0 devices into it so we backup very important data to usb HDs for home storage.

Thank Post

We have a Dell Poweredge 1420 with 3 x 500GB SATA disks in RAID5 for backups, giving us 1TB of space.
    On that I have Backup Exec 9.1 installed (hope to move to 11d soon) and all daily differential backups, SIMS backups and system state backups are stored on there

The weekly full backup goes straight onto an LTO-3 tape drive - at the minute a full backup is about 500GB so we still fit on one tape, but I do wish Id bought an autoloader now

6 week tape library, all stored in a fire safe in a terrapin at the other end of the site. Not quite 'off-site' but it is so far away its unlikely a fire in the server room would ever reach it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts

We have a huge cabinet on wheels which houses our servers so to back it up we just push it from the front and it backs up hehe!

Sorry just couldn't resist

We use both tapes and NAS plus usb portable hard drives to take off site. (tapes and NAS backup through the night, NAS to USB through the day when the NAS servers are not operational).

Thank Post

Ntbackup to a huge NAS box.

Thank Post

I have a server running Retrospect that pulls all the data off the other servers and dunps it onto LTO2 tape using a Tanberg LTO2 Autoloader. I like how this works.

Thank Post

External hard drive ntbackup done during day taken home that night. Also tape drive only holds data though, done overnight and stored at school in safe.

Thank Post

I have a server running Retrospect that pulls all the data off the other servers and dunps it onto LTO2 tape using a Tanberg LTO2 Autoloader.
    How much data does the tapes hold? I heard this LTO mentioned today by one of the LEA techies and I'd never heard of it ops:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast