+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57
Windows Thread, How do you backup your Server(s)? in Technical; Originally Posted by sidewinder Probably not, but its safer than just having them lying about Ours is worse than most ...
  1. #31
    kerrymoralee9280
    Guest

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    Probably not, but its safer than just having them lying about
    Ours is worse than most - theres a sticker on it saying it was last checked in 1991 ops:

    Im confident enough having the servers and the tapes 300/400 metres apart - whichever one gets burnt down, the other should be alright
    Exactly, the tape may melt or whatever, but it's sure as hell safer having one in there than one on the desk. Like I said, we have ofsite backups too, it's just another step to try and make sure if something does go wrong, we have copies of everything spread everywhere.

    Not sure about this 3rd party backups though. Firstly it sounds like a lot of money for only 100gb space and secondly, do they back up the back ups? What happens if their servers crash?

  2. #32
    gwendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,495
    Thank Post
    161
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    500Gb external is £80 delivered atm - 2 TB on a rotation for £320? Bargain.

  3. #33
    calapso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    I use 2 x 500GB external harddisks (Freecom SL which have usb & lan interfaces) . I use the Lan interface and sited the 2 disks in discreet locations on site.
    One is Week 1 and other is Week 2. and backups alternate.

    I use software called Novastor server backup (about £80). Nice and eady interface and can do disaster recovery backups and open file (something you have to pay for as an option on some other software...Veritas etc)

    This works very well for me. Hope this helps

  4. #34
    greenfieldsupport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Newton Aycliffe, Durham
    Posts
    240
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    We ordered a 2TB Lacie rack mounted drive from Dabs.com for about £550 to put in a different building for fire reasons....

    We got it a tad cheaper because we moaned about how much stuff we were ordering...

    anyway,
    It seems fantastic...
    If only it would fit in the damn cabinate!!
    :\

    oh dear.

    were in the process of putting it somewhere else, secure...

  5. #35
    Rozzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    720
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    We have 1 cache server where robocopy copys all the network shares such as user data and any other shares. We then robocopy that copy to a nas drive which is in another building. We then use our sony tape autoloader to back up the cache servers data with backupexec 10D. It has taken us 3 - 4 months to get it working 100%

  6. #36
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    104

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    I use a variety, we have little in the way of cash since we are a small junior school.

    So I use an external HD for weekly backups, another HD in another server for bi monthly back ups, and also tape for monthly backups. Its not a perfect system, but it does work. However I am putting in another HD back up in a remote PC this half term for weekly backups.

    I can foresee in the very near future, swapping to flash drives as an alternative to conventional removable media. 32gigs is enough for our back up needs and USB drives of this capacity will cost less than a tape within the next two years (£25 per tape approx, 4 gig USB drives are now £20, tape drives are ££££). Plus there's no drive to go wrong and they can be read without any specialist hardware. And then theres the speed, instant access to back ups at near NAS speed.

  7. #37
    Joedetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    1,316
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    If you're going to have a safe to deal with data security it may aswell be a firesafe just for that added peace of mind.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    323
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    Hows incremental backups actually work? I mean.. we have done FULL backups. Ive assumed a incremental backup requires a fullbackup initially or does it make a full backup first?

    Say MONDAY's backup file is 200GB then 1 week later its 230GB... does it make say a file called monday.bak (200GB) then monday01.bak 30GB then use monday.bak and add's the additional data to that or does it simply check files and only make the changes required?

    Theres soo many different methods that I get very confused. Our backups now take from 11PM to 10AM sometimes even 12PM to finish. So would an incremental backup only write the changes meaning it will be done in a few hrs?

    Does incremental also remove the old data thats been deleted from the server since?

    Cheers ( sorry that may sound noobish to alot of you )

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,187
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by techyphil
    Hows incremental backups actually work? I mean.. we have done FULL backups. Ive assumed a incremental backup requires a fullbackup initially or does it make a full backup first?

    Does incremental also remove the old data thats been deleted from the server since?

    Cheers ( sorry that may sound noobish to alot of you )
    An incremental backup stores files that have been modified since the last backup. Hence the saving in time and space (i.e. less files requirng less storage space to backup over a shorter time).

    The idea is you do a full backup (all files backed up whether recently modifed or not) when it's quiet e.g. at the weekend then incremental backups during the rest of the week.

    The incremental backup on Monday will store files that have been modified since the full backup on Fri/Sat. Then the backup on Tuesday saves any changes since the Monday backup. The Wednesday backup saves changes since Tuesday and so on.


    A file to be backed up is marked with an archive attribute. That's why not everything is backed up. It can be tricky if e.g. you copy files from one server to another or from CD then they will all get backed up even though they might not have actually been modified recently.

  10. #40
    eduabncs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    somewhere in the midlands
    Posts
    394
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Quote Originally Posted by techyphil
    Hows incremental backups actually work? I mean.. we have done FULL backups. Ive assumed a incremental backup requires a fullbackup initially or does it make a full backup first?

    Does incremental also remove the old data thats been deleted from the server since?

    Cheers ( sorry that may sound noobish to alot of you )
    An incremental backup stores files that have been modified since the last backup. Hence the saving in time and space (i.e. less files requirng less storage space to backup over a shorter time).

    The idea is you do a full backup (all files backed up whether recently modifed or not) when it's quiet e.g. at the weekend then incremental backups during the rest of the week.

    The incremental backup on Monday will store files that have been modified since the full backup on Fri/Sat. Then the backup on Tuesday saves any changes since the Monday backup. The Wednesday backup saves changes since Tuesday and so on.


    A file to be backed up is marked with an archive attribute. That's why not everything is backed up. It can be tricky if e.g. you copy files from one server to another or from CD then they will all get backed up even though they might not have actually been modified recently.
    Most places doing a full incremental back up routine will use the follwing or (minor) variations of:

    Monday to Thursday (x4 tapes) Week One (incremental)
    Monday to Thursday (x4 tapes) Week Two (incremental)

    Friday in rotation Weeks 1 - 4 (x4 tapes) (Full)

    Friday Monthly (x12 tapes) (full)

    [all per drive]

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    323
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    Aah thanks eduabncs and networkgeezer, I will try and introduce that system as it makes more sense. Not sure who set ours up but I beleive an incremental backup seems the best way of doing it.

    Cheers again! Your stars :P

  12. #42
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,637
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    But do remember that if your first tape has a problem when it comes to restoring, then the rest of your tapes are useless aswell and you effectively have no backup.

    Add that to the fact you'll have to restore the first media, then the additional media in the correct order and it can be confusing.

  13. #43
    bandgeekmafia78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Salford
    Posts
    382
    Thank Post
    88
    Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    Vertitas Backup Exec 11d and LTO2 drive. Easy and relatively quick!

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    115

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    Vertitas Backup Exec 11d
    That would be Symantec Backup Exec (even the PF folder has changed to Symantec now).

    Deal with it a lot and don't like it much - have hit far too many bugs in not exactly exotic places and every new SP or version seems to replace one set of bugswith another.

  15. #45
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,637
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo
    Vertitas Backup Exec 11d
    That would be Symantec Backup Exec (even the PF folder has changed to Symantec now).

    Deal with it a lot and don't like it much - have hit far too many bugs in not exactly exotic places and every new SP or version seems to replace one set of bugswith another.
    Sure it's not an MS product?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th February 2009, 08:41 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th October 2007, 12:21 PM
  3. Best server 2003 backup method?
    By starscream in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th June 2007, 02:26 PM
  4. Restoring a server with NT Backup???
    By johnkay21 in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19th June 2007, 09:38 AM
  5. new server from backup tapes
    By beeswax in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th April 2006, 03:35 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •