+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, How do you backup your Server(s)? in Technical; @Kyle: Handy little table at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTO_tapes - 200GB native (The autoloader holds 7 tapes with the cleaning tape in the ...

Thank Post

Re: How do you backup your Server(s)?

@Kyle: Handy little table at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTO_tapes - 200GB native (The autoloader holds 7 tapes with the cleaning tape in the eighth slot).

Thank Post

Another vote for external hard drives - at £70 for 250GB (and that was last year), it's pretty good VFM. I fit about 3 full backups and a week's worth of incremental on a drive. I have 2 and try to rotate every week or so (just curric, not admin).
    The only thing I'd suggest it that you consider using Firestreamer-RM. It works with NTbackup or any backup tool (basically creates a virtual tape drive). You can then mount files to the tape drive, or use the hard drive as if it were a tape. The advantage of this is that it can compress AND encrypt the backup, something ntbackup can't do. As the 'off site' backups live in the boot of my car, I felt encryption was important.
    It will also email you reports etc... It's only £30.

Thank Post

We've got a similar system to Ric - we've used IBM's Tivoli Storage Manager Express for the job - it does our SQL Server too.

It then copies down to tape and we've again got a Lto2 autoloader.

Kyle

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

LTO3 tape for one site with NT backup
    DAT72i at another with Backup Exec 11d
    LTO1 at another with Backup Exec 10d

Thank Post

Hehe, DDS3 or DDS4 tape depending on the school or DVDRW for some (I work for 6 cluster primary's) Use Tapeware for tape and NTBackup for DVD.

I'm looking at a NAS for my largest primary though

Craig

Thank Post

I used to use DDS tapes but i was swapping four or five just backing up all the important data

so now what i do like most it seams is backup the servers to Portable HDDs using NTBackup. I take full server backup every half terms and then taken off site. For the rest of the time over the weekend all the important data is backed up onto a server located not in the rack. Its backed up using NT Backup and Backup Assist, which is really good at scheduling NTBackups it and its cheap.

I looked into LTO but came to the conclusion that its cheaper and easier to use External Disks.

kerrymoralee9280

Our backups took a turn for the worst when we got a couple of new servers. We have 400gb tapes which is not enough to hold it all. Thing is, we didn't want to move away from tapes because with a NAS, all you need is a HHD failure. Anyway, we back up all staff and student data to tape every night, and the Terminal Server goes onto the NAS1 box through NTBackup.

We had an old system lying around (P4) so decided to buy 4 x 400gb HDD's and install them with a software RAID (5). This has left us with about 1.2TB. Now, every Friday we get our normal backup to tape aswell but also a complete backup to NAS2. It wasn't too quick on 10/100 so we went and bought a cheap Gig NIC. Now, it works a treat, and although it still takes a couple of days to back up, that kind of time is fine over the weekend when I'm out in the sunny garden without a care in the world.

Oh, we still get a special backup if anything is going to change majorly on the network, an off site back up and a back up that sits in our fire proof safe at school.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    We have a Dell Poweredge 1420 with 3 x 500GB SATA disks in RAID5 for backups, giving us 1TB of space.
    On that I have Backup Exec 9.1 installed (hope to move to 11d soon) and all daily differential backups, SIMS backups and system state backups are stored on there

The weekly full backup goes straight onto an LTO-3 tape drive - at the minute a full backup is about 500GB so we still fit on one tape, but I do wish Id bought an autoloader now

6 week tape library, all stored in a fire safe in a terrapin at the other end of the site. Not quite 'off-site' but it is so far away its unlikely a fire in the server room would ever reach it
    are fire proof safe's worth it, i mean they may prevent them from burning, but they sure as hell dont stop them from melting.

Thank Post

Ours is all off site, with a third party, it's great never need to worrie about tapes and space etc and if the school burns down its all safe still!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by nathan
    are fire proof safe's worth it, i mean they may prevent them from burning, but they sure as hell dont stop them from melting.
    Plus they're only FireSafe for a certain amount of time, usually an hour or two, will the fire/heat be gone by then?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benny84w
    Ours is all off site, with a third party, it's great never need to worrie about tapes and space etc and if the school burns down its all safe still!
    How much does that cost?

Thank Post

I was going to post this in a seperate thread but i thought this may be better since it is closely related.

We have numerous posts about the backup process that people use but i would like to know how people resoter their DCs when they have a failure. I ask because as of yet i haven't had to but it is only a matter of time.

I tried to do a ASR from NTbackup but i think i went wrong by removing the DC from the AD before bringing back online. I thought this was necessary since the machine was being re-built but apparently it isn't since it is using the same name.

As this was the case when being brought back online it messed up the replication between servers and i then had two machines with the same name in the replication monitor even though i had removed the one. It was using its old GUID.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff

How much does that cost?
    its not too bad, 4k for 3 years, at 100gb.

they keep a months increments, the first upload took about a week, but after that it just as fast as tapes and has given us peace of mind as well!

Its through ScoMIS Attix Remote Backup Solution

Thank Post

Probably not, but its safer than just having them lying about
    Ours is worse than most - theres a sticker on it saying it was last checked in 1991 ops:

Im confident enough having the servers and the tapes 300/400 metres apart - whichever one gets burnt down, the other should be alright

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    Probably not, but its safer than just having them lying about
    Ours is worse than most - theres a sticker on it saying it was last checked in 1991 ops:

Im confident enough having the servers and the tapes 300/400 metres apart - whichever one gets burnt down, the other should be alright
    Very true, just make sure you have your running shoes on if one part sets alight

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast