+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Moving Sophos to a new server in Technical; Originally Posted by GoldenWonder I tried this a while ago, and it didn't go very well and Sophos weren't a ...

Thank Post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenWonder View Post
    I tried this a while ago, and it didn't go very well and Sophos weren't a great deal of help.

Basically it seems to involve a fresh installation, and then running a startup script (provided by Sophos) on the clients to redirect to the new server and force them to get a new certificate to allow them to connect to the remote management system. It all worked as soon as the scripts ran on the PCs.

This was on the older version 1.0 console, but I would assume the process is similar.

Thanks a lot.
    Can you give me the startup script PLZ.
    Mamun

Thank Post
    I moved our Sophos setup to a new server and followed these steps which Sophos support sent to me.

1.Close Enterprise Console.
    2.Export the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\sophos\CertificationManager to a file called SophosCertificates.reg, and back this up.
    3.Stop the service 'Sophos Management Service'. (This should close the management service connection to the database, this may take a couple of seconds).
    4.Detach the database 'Sophos' using SQL Enterprise Manager, where possible. (See below if you need to use osql instead.)
    5.Backup the files:
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\sophos.mdf (do If this was an Upgrade from Enterprise Console 1.0 at one point)
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\sophos_log.ldf (do If this was an Upgrade from Enterprise Console 1.0 at one point)
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\SOPHOS2.mdf (do If this was an Upgrade from Enterprise Console 2.0 at one point)
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\SOPHOS2_log.LDF (do If this was an Upgrade from Enterprise Console 2.0 at one point)
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\SOPHOS3.mdf
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\SOPHOS3_log.LDF
    6.Re-attach the database ‘Sophos’ to continue using it using SQL Enterprise Manager, where possible. (See below if you need to use osql instead.)
    7.Export the EM Library config by issuing the EMLExp.exe command: {This command is in C:\Program Files\Sophos Enterprise Manager\Library\bin} "emlexp export "\\\sophosem" c:\emlexp.xml"
    8.Restart 'Sophos Management Service'
    9.Shut down the old server and over on the new server assuming you kept the same Name and IP, you will want to import the registry key you exported in Step 2
    10.Download the lastest version of Enterprise Console from the Sophos website (currently 3.0 in a file named ES30SFX.EXE) and do a complete install (very important that the registry key be imported BEFORE you do this install). *** I actually used 3.1 ***
    11.Stop the service 'Sophos Management Service'. (This should close the management service connection to the database, this may take a couple of seconds).
    12. Once the complete install is done, detach the empty database that got created following the detach database instructions below and then move the database files you backed up in step 5 into the C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\ directory
    13.Re-attach the database ‘Sophos’ to continue using it using SQL Enterprise Manager, where possible. (See below if you need to use osql instead.)
    14.Import the EM Library config by issuing the EMLExp.exe command: {This command is in C:\Program Files\Sophos Enterprise Manager\Library\bin} "emlexp import "\\\sophosem" c:\emlexp.xml"
    15.Restart 'Sophos Management Service'

All of this worked until step 15 as the service will not start. Clients are updating and the server is pulling down updates but the Management console will not work as the service is stopped.

Sophos are now ignoring my emails.

Brilliant!

3. Thanks to walkden-high from:

TomTomGo (12th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walkden-high View Post
    I moved our Sophos setup to a new server and followed these steps which Sophos support sent to me.

1.Close Enterprise Console.
    2.Export the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\sophos\CertificationManager to a file called SophosCertificates.reg, and back this up.
    3.Stop the service 'Sophos Management Service'. (This should close the management service connection to the database, this may take a couple of seconds).
    4.Detach the database 'Sophos' using SQL Enterprise Manager, where possible. (See below if you need to use osql instead.)
    5.Backup the files:
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\sophos.mdf (do If this was an Upgrade from Enterprise Console 1.0 at one point)
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\sophos_log.ldf (do If this was an Upgrade from Enterprise Console 1.0 at one point)
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\SOPHOS2.mdf (do If this was an Upgrade from Enterprise Console 2.0 at one point)
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\SOPHOS2_log.LDF (do If this was an Upgrade from Enterprise Console 2.0 at one point)
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\SOPHOS3.mdf
    C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\SOPHOS3_log.LDF
    6.Re-attach the database ‘Sophos’ to continue using it using SQL Enterprise Manager, where possible. (See below if you need to use osql instead.)
    7.Export the EM Library config by issuing the EMLExp.exe command: {This command is in C:\Program Files\Sophos Enterprise Manager\Library\bin} "emlexp export "\\\sophosem" c:\emlexp.xml"
    8.Restart 'Sophos Management Service'
    9.Shut down the old server and over on the new server assuming you kept the same Name and IP, you will want to import the registry key you exported in Step 2
    10.Download the lastest version of Enterprise Console from the Sophos website (currently 3.0 in a file named ES30SFX.EXE) and do a complete install (very important that the registry key be imported BEFORE you do this install). *** I actually used 3.1 ***
    11.Stop the service 'Sophos Management Service'. (This should close the management service connection to the database, this may take a couple of seconds).
    12. Once the complete install is done, detach the empty database that got created following the detach database instructions below and then move the database files you backed up in step 5 into the C:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql$sophos\data\ directory
    13.Re-attach the database ‘Sophos’ to continue using it using SQL Enterprise Manager, where possible. (See below if you need to use osql instead.)
    14.Import the EM Library config by issuing the EMLExp.exe command: {This command is in C:\Program Files\Sophos Enterprise Manager\Library\bin} "emlexp import "\\\sophosem" c:\emlexp.xml"
    15.Restart 'Sophos Management Service'

All of this worked until step 15 as the service will not start. Clients are updating and the server is pulling down updates but the Management console will not work as the service is stopped.

Sophos are now ignoring my emails.

Brilliant!
    Did you resolve this??? i basically want to build a brand new domain on a new server and migrate sophos across. The new server will obviously have a new name, IP and new domain name. The school only has two servers, A domain controller and SIMS member server.
    Would i follow your instructions?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I've just finished a migration from an old DC to a new one on the same Domain.

Following the above instructions it also worked fine up until point 15.Restart 'Sophos Management Service'. I then realised i had not restarted the Sophos SQL instance in "SQL Server Service Manager", once this was done, the "Sophos Management Service" restarted successfully. Clients are now updating and communicating with the new DC.

Other things to note:

i) Change the CID directory to the new Server after importing the emlexp.xml. Download your packages and check the Message Log to make sure the download was successful
    ii) Disable the following shares on the old server "\EmLibInstaller, \InterChk and \SophosEM"
    iii) Stop the Sophos SQL instance on teh old server.

HTH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12