Poll: If you do music creation as part of the curriculum at your school. What do you use

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Garage Band for windows in Technical; We recently invested in 6 macs for a 6th form music composition room as a test case for a larger ...

Thank Post

Re: Garage Band for windows

We recently invested in 6 macs for a 6th form music composition room as a test case for a larger purchase for our new school when it eventually gets built.

We have used sibielus on Ps for a long time for composition score work so it was a natural choice (altho we've had issues with its lack of native intel support which isn't well documented) We have logic express for more serious composition work for orchestral pieces and finally garage band for the singers and guitar pupils.

We've had some teething troubles becasue neither I nor the music composition teacher are well versed in Apple technology but it has been very success ful the results speak for themselves.

We looked at both PC and Apple solutions before purchase and while logic and sibielus are available for PC there just doesn't seem to be a good equivalent to garage band. It does what it does incredibly intuitively and efficiently.

Locking down macs is however proving an almost vertical learning curve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Slightly off topic but we're looking at introducing a single Mac at present as part of a multimedia production suite for Biology in a trial if successful it will be made available to other departments. I have no knowledge of Macs at all and stated from the outset that if they did buy it the support wouldn't be very quick to remedy problems. They acknowledged this and are going to buy the Mac anyway. I have no problem working with Macs but I needed to state I know nothing of supporting them. I think I'll setup boot camp and make sure they have at least a fall back option if the pupils "break" OSX however I am looking to make sure I have images of the Mac and possibly using Net-Runna (if I can afford it) to stop me worrying about locking this machine down. Theoretically if I lock down shares and the servers, Net-Runna or Ghost+Deep Freeze (Which I'm using currently) will stop me needing to lock down any machines on the network I'll be trialling it in the Resources Based Learning Centre (Library PCs) if it works the system will be rolled out across the board.

I have to admit that I've never ben a fan of Macs but I don't see why my prejudices should stop the school buying equipment that suits their teaching style and the education of the students here.

Wes

Thank Post

do you know if you can run net runna or ghost equivalent tools on MAC's. i was under the impression, this wasn't possible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ghost should be able to image MAC formatted hard drives can't remember if net-runna can I'll find out!

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

For locking machines down then I have always said the MacAdmin is the dog's ... Or you could use OS X Server, but it might be overkill for one machine

Thank Post

So ...............a alternative to Garage band to use on windows is............????

Thank Post

The most comprehensive, easy-to-use, enjoyable software package out in our big wide world that is probably going to get used the most is Fruity Loops. We had some laptops set up with it on demo around a year ago, before we went through BSF. The kids loved it. They were coming to my after school club to use it in droves. Now we have reorganised, our new head of expression is after using it in music and music technology, along with Sibelius and Cubase. But Garageband is a by-product of mass branding by Apple and we may never see a direct PC based competitor.

Now, the Mac V's PC debate...

Erm, forgive me if I am wrong but the best reason for having a Mac in a school would be to educate children in its use, so when they go to work and may have to use one, they can. Hence why we have quite a few and are buying over 30 more, because Apple's market share is increasing, so a school leaver is increasing likely to encounter one.

Adam

Thank Post

before we went through BSF
    At last we find one who has already BSF'd

Your comments on the whole thing please? Or perhaps we should start a new topic.?

Thank Post

To be honest I will happily give only one piece of advice that you should hold and not let go of...

Set up your own system.

We had Westfield setup ours (not out of our choice) and 2 of the 3 servers installed have now died (they were both Dells). They are back running but they are dodgy and they like blue screening. We are replacing them and the domain less than a year after implementation. GP has stopped working for no apparent reason. Oh and the kids could access anything becuase the guys left Authenticated Users on the server drive roots. And they tried to give us 3Com switches. What a wise idea to give Cisco qualified guys 3Com. So we bought a load of Cisco 2950G's and 3508's ourselves.

But school wise as opposed to tech wise, we are in special measures and we are losing around 8 of our best teachers at summer (we have lost a lot of good ones already). We are lucky to still have some that are any good. We get HMI inspected soon and if we fail that the SMT are going to get sacked. I hope all off them don't, we have some hard working and talented people on our SMT that have gone above and beyond to pull us out of the mess that BSF put us in.

BSF is a bit like playing the lottery. If you win, then wahooo, go for it. If you lose, then you have just wasted your money and your county council is off to party with the winners. For the people of Burnley it has been a negative experience in the short term, but it will become a positive one in the long term. Unfortunalty it has wrecked many lives, both pupils and staff members. It's an unsettling experience. It didn't help that the media sensationalised everything because it was the only interesting thing that they could report on. The media are not taking any blame at the moment, but in a few years time it will turn and I believe that they will have to face repercussions.

So .. Garageband .. Unbeatable by the PC world???

Thank Post
    they use three at our school, logic, garageband and sibelius

I've used fruity loops, quite enjoyed using that.. its a good program in my opinion
    i found out how to do most things just by playing
    Last edited by rolfea; 1st December 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Thank Post
    As much as I like Garbageband (no, not typo) I wouldn't invest in that OS and their hardware just to have it.

Thank Post
    So ...............a alternative to Garage band to use on windows is............????
    Steinberg Sequel is the direct comparison for Windows.

We use Cubase on PCs, Cubase on MACs, GarageBand on MACs.

We've had no training, and none of us have any prior experience with MACs. Since getting 16 of them over the summer holidays, I've managed (with relative ease) to get them ALL tied in to ActiveDirectory for User Authentication, and to map home folders, as well as access group folders on the X-Server. We're running usergroup based restrictions for the student usergroup, deployed by WorkgroupManager on the X-Serve. It's all relative common sense really.

Personally I was entirely against getting the MAC Suite, as the ONLY justification was that the music teacher wanted to be able to use Garageband for kids that couldn't work with Cubase. As it goes, he was right... there are a huge chunk of kids who are far more productive on a Mac running Garageband than when they were using Cubase on PCs.

As for the learning curve to support them - we ensured that ICT Support got their own iMac for us to tinker with / recreate problems on. I started using it as my main machine to force me to learn it and I can do everything on it that I could do on my Windows box. Now I'm the main Mac Technician for the school... which has all been pointed out at my last review, and has resulted in a pay-rise pending...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12