+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Panda Cloud Antivirus viable solution for school network? in Technical; Hi All We fell foul of the LA provided Symantec 9 being pants and we can't go to Endpoint 10 ...

Thank Post

Panda Cloud Antivirus viable solution for school network?

Hi All

We fell foul of the LA provided Symantec 9 being pants and we can't go to Endpoint 10 as it will make of our PCs run like a pig (1GB min I believe)

We used Microsoft SE for a bit til we found that we couldn't update it through our proxy and that they'd slipped the line that we couldn't use it in schools anymore so we've had a good look at Panda's free cloud anti-virus offering.

Works through a proxy, nice and simple, appears to have a small footprint, etc.

Anybody bitten the bullet with this one?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    A lot of LAs still use Sophos and although it's not perfect, it does the job and is fully manageable. It does work really nicely on 2008 R2.

I'm not sure of the footprint, but I believe it is around 256MB (minimum) on a workstation. Ideally your workstations should have at least 2GB of memory.

I've not used Panda at all and I've never seen Panda used at a school. Another product you may wish to look at is AVG which I use quite a bit. There is a school/business version.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you on any MS licensing plans? I hear Forefront Antivirus (Its the corporate version of MSE) is pretty cheap but you do need a SCCM and/or WSUS box (iirc) to manage it on the network.

Personally in my view, I wouldn't go with any solution where their isn't a antivirus client on each workstation due to usb drives and such.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread