+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Are you the same? in Technical; Now i'm pushing to buy SchoolGuardian to replace our Censornet as it just isn't up to the job anymore with ...

Thank Post

Are you the same?

Now i'm pushing to buy SchoolGuardian to replace our Censornet as it just isn't up to the job anymore with some bright sparks in boarding getting around it. We need an all in one firewall/web proxy so the new version is no good either. After going to our Bursar and explaining why we need to spend money on this, last term we got blacklisted from a lot of major emails providors, he then told me we buy too much software and i should look at buying 1 piece to do all. Yes thats right he thinks seperate Anti-virus/spyware(AVG), email(MDaemon) and web filter is too fragmented.

Now i've not managed to find a package that does all three but i'm being a good lacky and rethinking my idea, not that i've spent the last 2 months researching it. So i was wondering do you have a similar setup with seperate software and it's our Bursa just being a Bursar.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Are you the same?

What does the Bursar know about IT and network software? What makes her qualified to give you advice on which software to buy?

Thank Post

That is what i think, and say, too but although i am employed as the Network Manager and have been running the system from scratch for 5 years he, who has no IT knowledge, questions every decision i make. And at the end of the day will cancel anything he does not deem good value.

Thank Post

something like this?

http://www.sophos.co.uk/products/es/web/ws1000/

don't know anything about it but saw it on sopho's site whilst looking at a virus threat.

Should think that something like this would cost more than the 'fragmented' approach that your Burser dosn't like.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,465 Posts

The smoothwall products have anti phish and anti virus scanning on them.

You still need client/server installed av solution anyway.

Censornet was always able to function as a 2 nic firewall device as well forcing all your users through however if you only run it as 1 nic proxy and have nothing else to stop them getting direct access to the internet then they will be able to bypass it.

Ben

Thank Post

We have always used the 2 nic firewall option but the kids/software have no managed ways to get through the firewall and is no longer an option, shame cause i did really like it and have used it for over a year. The new version has no firewall option at all and is just a proxy.

Thank Post

Set up linux on an old box and get squid on there with some custom filter lists, blocked ports etc. Shouldnt cost you a penny other than the man hours to set it up.

Thank Post

Just tell him its the ONLY way to do things. You wont be lieing, its a fact that you will be compromising security if you dont use the best AV and proxy avalible. TBH ive never heard of an all in one solution before anyway

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information