+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, RM Station Security Service locking up machines at startup in Technical; Hey all, We've been deploying a whole load of new machines across campus over the last few months, and with ...

Thank Post

RM Station Security Service locking up machines at startup

Hey all,

We've been deploying a whole load of new machines across campus over the last few months, and with a large number of the machines I've noticed that they sometimes get locked up at the "Waiting for station security service" bit of the boot process. They can get stuck here for hours, and the cc3 login screen will pop up and then disappear in the background, as though it's trying to finish and failing. So far, the only way around this I've found is to press the power button to make the machine shut down nicely, then reboot it and hope...

anyone got any ideas?

Thank Post
    Just a thought but have the new machines got Gig network cards by any chance?

We have had a similar issue with a Vanilla network and Dell Optiplex 390's. I know RM do things differently and cant remember whether the station security is their renamed text for applying group policies.

I have set a reg key which disables DHCP Media sensing, you could give this a go on a test machine and see what happens.

I have posted an entry about this on my blog which can be found here.

Hope this helps or at least gives you something useful to try

3. Thanks to mhundley from:

Quatermass (23rd August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    If this is a large network, do you have more than one DNS server on site? If yes, it would make sense that switching the machine off then back on may check in with a good DNS server one time, and then a bad DNS server second time creating the random lockups you describe.

I would check that your servers are fully replicating and check the event logs for any DNS related errors.

Thank Post
    @mhundley : We had exactly this problem with our new 390s on CC3. Had to SmartClient them anyway as they wouldn't behave with the RM build, but were left with this very issue, with the network seeming to drop out mid-startup, just when it was trying to get packages etc. Now fixed - nice one sir!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread