+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Useful tools for Technician? Just about to start my first job. in Technical; Backtrack 5...
    Thank Post
    Backtrack 5

Thank Post
    First off, congratulations on the job! As mentioned by cpjitservices, Backtrack 5 is fantastic especially when doing security auditing. I also can't live without Ultimate Boot CD. Gotta have one of those on you at all times

The actual item I came here to mention is a multitool. I've seen one mentioned already in this thread, but I'm just here to back up that statement. Aside from all things digital on a computer and all the downloads and software and bootable tools available, never underestimate the power of a multitool. I personally use the Leatherman Juice Cs4, and I absolutely love it. It comes with a leather case with a strong belt hook and I can't tell you how many times I reach for it during a day for many different reasons. When I don't have it with me, I definitely notice. The other thing I really like about it is it has the essentials without too many things you don't need, allowing it to be a LOT less bulky than a lot of tools I've seen. It's a really nice compact size and with a 25 year warranty [if I remember correctly], you can't go wrong.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,909 Times in 2,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Backtrack 5
    BackTrack 5 + Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW Wireless USB adapter (£23 from Amazon)

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Would be nice if you could have a bart pe type bootable external usb HDD with all the relevant plugins that supported windows xp /7 etc as far as the filing system along with all the other utils, backup, hdd diagnostics, ram diagnostics etc etc
    Win7PE_SE, Win7PEx86 or Make_PE3

4. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (21st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re Hirens, V14 is very clean indeed however it does have some workarounds for some software to work - for instance Seagate Diskwizard (aka Acronis) won't work without a Seagate drive in but a simple key combination provided on said disk makes it work anyway

Regardless of that, its just a bloody handy disk due to the hdd diagnostic utilities all being in one place - lifesavers for me, death sentences for many a Maxtor drive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by link470 View Post
    First off, congratulations on the job!
    Thank you link.

---------

Thanks to all the people that have posted. Alot of useful tools to download and play with. Have also been using spiceworks, seems a good piece of kit as well.

Have brought myself a HDD enclosure with virstual disk capabilities so all the iso images can be run straight from the HDD.

Hopefully i can now go into the school when i start and make our lives easier. They are bound to need some tool. WIll also be useful for when im doing friends computers at home, thats why i brought it myself mainly. When i was on work experience i found that some places are a bit funny about you taking school property home, even if it was to help them out. The IT manager in the end brought several memory stick himself.
    Last edited by fredted40x; 21st August 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    But be careful about carrying it when you're not at work. Knives with locking blades are classed as offensive weapons.
    Sound advice, if a little off.

You are allowed to carry all but a few knives in the UK (The Criminal Justice Act 1988 limits these to a few exotic martial arts weapons, automatic (or "flick") knives and butterfly knives (where two split handles swing like wings around the knife to close or open it.) as long as you have a good reason. Carrying your tools to your place of work is a good reason, I forgot to take my tools off my belt when I went to the pub is a bad reason.
    You are not required to have a good reason if your knife has a non-locking blade and the blade is under 2" (3 inches) long - so just about most old timer pen knives are fine in most places.

I'm a bit anal about this as I think the knife is a very underrated tool for loads of things from opening boxes to stripping cable sheath and popping the retainers on badly made CAT-5 cables etc and I dislike my rights being erroded so that it's not enough I will never cut another person, even carrying a tool is an offence.

But back on topic (SORRY!)

A decent multitool from Gerber or Leatherman is a godsend.
    An iPad (if you can blag one) is an amazing tool with the right apps.
    A USB key with lots of portable applications (all the good ones have been mentioned) is invaluable.

8. 2 Thanks to joe_Burge:

Chris_ (22nd August 2011), dany2010 (20th December 2011)

Thank Post
    It hasn't been mentioned yet, but one of these USB to Sata/IDE cables has proven itself invaluable... being able to connect an optical drive to a PC that doesn't have one, or to stick a hdd in another PC for testing/recovery/cloning/etc...

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=joe_Burge;719318]
    An iPad (if you can blag one) is an amazing tool with the right apps.
    [QUOTE]

Thanks Joe. They have arranged to get us iphones for email and work related calls.
    An Ipad 2 would be so much more useful but at the moment im finding it hard to find a price that would make them want to change from the iphones that they want to order to ipads. They are working out about £150 more than the iphone over 24 months and the ipad doesnt have inclusive minutes.

They have a few tools tha they said i will have use of but there are some programs that i think that they might find usefull.

Thank Post
    iphones can be useful in a pinch but with the much smaller screen are harder to use for the same tasks...

Great apps I use are:

AD Helpdesk: AD HelpDesk for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    PC Monitor: PC Monitor for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    LogMeIn: LogMeIn Ignition for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    Kypass & Dropbox: KyPass for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store / Dropbox for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Plus a load of other useful tools like xmarks and office/productivity applications... Well worth investigating for either platform.

12. Thanks to joe_Burge from:

dany2010 (20th December 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123