+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, My Documents Redirection not using new Home Folder in Technical; Good morning I have recently moved all of our users home folders from an old 2003 server to a new ...

Thank Post

Angry My Documents Redirection not using new Home Folder

Good morning

I have recently moved all of our users home folders from an old 2003 server to a new 2008 R2 server. Their home folders used to be a path of \\Servername\Username$, they have redirected documents to these folders. I have changed the home folder path in AD to \\servername\Staff\Username and their home folder maps correctly when you browse in My Computer but the Documents folder is still redirected to the old server location which isn't available anymore.

I have enforced the policy to see if that makes a difference but it looks as if Windows is using some locally cached profile data or reg entry with the old settings in. I have deleted the local profiles of some staff on some PC's and when the profile is recreated the problem is corrected.

The issue is that some staff have local docs and there are about 600 PC's that will need this doing if I go down that route.

Does anyone know of a solution to enforce the old profiles to take the new My Documents redirection location or is going to be a whole site local profile deletion and recreation?

Many thanks
    Paul

Thank Post
    You could always do a bat/script to delete all old local profiles, however unless you'll know where the "local docs" are, they'll not get copied over no matter how you change the local profile? Unless I've missed something.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Try selecting the option that would follow the home directory set in the user account itself.

You could always cheat. Take the older server offline delete the old DNS records for it. Recreate them with the old server name but point the IP to the new server.

4. Thanks to FN-GM from:

joe90bass (2nd September 2011)

Thank Post
    We had similar issue when migrating to 2k8. 2k8 GPOs have different settings, on you folder redirection click on documents and edit choose settings tab and remove the option to move documents to new location and make sure that Also apply restriction to Windows XP etc is ticked

if that doesn't work it may be a profile edit you need to do if you have saved your redirects in there?

check any logon scripts and event viewer on your main DC for clues.

6. 2 Thanks to qphs:

joe90bass (2nd September 2011), PGreeny (17th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks qphs,
    I have changed that setting and up to now (not many staff have been in yet) all seems to be working correctly!! Fingers crossed this may have solved the issue!
    Paul

Thank Post
    Thanks guys! I was having the same problem, I had already tried the options mentioned by qphs and FN-GM - but not at the same time. Doing that resolved the issue here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread