+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows activation in Technical; Wondered if any of you have had this problem. We are going from a CC3 to a ranger network but ...

Thank Post

Windows activation

Wondered if any of you have had this problem. We are going from a CC3 to a ranger network but we are using all the old machines. ther about 5 years old from RM.
    No bother formatting a old one installing Windows XP and some programs then run sysprep and imaging it. Via Widows deployment.

So we roll it out to all machines ( there OEM) enter the licence code attached to the machine it accepts it and then we activate windows brill everything works. This afternoon they all start to be asked to be activated again????

The only thing we have done is make a package of open office and roll that out?

Been in as admin and activated them all again but got a feeling when i go in tomorrow it will be the same.

Thank Post
    You ay have to phone MS and enter that stupidly long ID number - they may only be one time activation codes like the ones we have stuck to the side of our machines - the amount of times I've had to phone up after a re-image is nobodies business.!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    There was another thread talking about a similar thing - migrating from CC3 to a vanilla network. As RM heavily modify the registry, it is advisable to re-image workstations from new.

With regards to your activation issue, Microsoft do not support Sysprepping OEM workstations. You should be using a Volume License Media and Key.

Reimaging Eligibility
    Reimaging is permitted if the copies made from the Volume Licensing media are identical to the originally licensed product . Volume Licensing customers who have licensed Microsoft software products from an OEM, through a retail source, or under any agreement other than their Microsoft Volume Licensing agreement may use copies made from Microsoft Volume Licensing media. Customers can use these copies from Microsoft media only if they are the same product and version, contain the same components, and are in the same language.
    Is there a reason why you're migrating from CC3 to Ranger? I can imagine there's little benefit and a vanilla setup would offer more options and be considerably cheaper too.

Thank Post
    Just not happy with the amount of money CC3-4 cost also along with all the Extras you have to pay.
    A vinalla setup would have been slightly better but we thought ranger as a nice compromise

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I have seen a version of Ranger on XP and didn't think much of it myself. Vanilla setups do offer the best options. I believe RM acquired Ranger (Sentinel Products) a number of years ago

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread