+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584 in Technical; Ho Ho Ho - those chaps at MS certainly know how to generate work for support people don't they... Known ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584

Ho Ho Ho - those chaps at MS certainly know how to generate work for support people don't they...

Known issues with Office File Validation

Opening files from a network share that have many charts or points of data will take longer to open in Office 2003.

Should have stuck 'or not at all' on the end of that.
    Thanks MS - can't even set wsus to remove it, only decline it.....

Microsoft Security Advisory&#58 Microsoft Office File Validation for Office 2003, 2007 Office, and Office 2010&#58 April 12, 2011

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    This particular Windows Update - KB2501584 has already been declined on Wednesday , but there may be some Countries which had already installed this update from there update schedule on Tuesday.

If you are experiencing these problems, then you can either remove MS Office File validation from Add/remove programs in Control Panel or Microsoft have a number of ways to implement fixes through registry settings etc.

The article below provides a number of ways to repair this, it also has a " Fix It " button which you can simply run to repair the issue :

Excel 2003 Office File Validation &#40OFV&#41 opens workbooks slower across the network

Method 4 below is the solution if you are experiencing slow access when opening Excel documents from a shares drive ie: File server

Method 4:
    To use Excel 2003 and avoid the network performance issue, you can disable the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In for Excel by using a registry setting. This removes the additional protection of the OFV for Excel while still protecting the other Office applications.

More information about this setting is available here:
    Office File Validation for Office 2003 and Office 2007

To have us apply the steps from this method to fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to follow the steps to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

Fix it for me

To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

Fix this problem
    Microsoft Fix it 50741

So far we have just been removing / uninstalling it from add / remove programs but as you state if you are not declining this update via WSUS then it will more then likely get re installed and go back to square one

Thank Post
    They also knocked out a reg fix but on trying it on users PCs etc it's 50/50 if it works.
    Pain in the ar5e - don't they ever test these things correctly ?

Thank Post
    Clearly not - had a few where the file validation utils icon shows up as MS Word so when I was trying to find it on a few computers I thought it was word to start with until I read the description which indicated it was in fact the file validation util not MS Word

Or as above disable the add in but if you ever have to restore to defaults it will possibly re enable that add in so still a pita

Thank Post
    Bit of scripting using msiexec.exe you should be able to use the un install string and make that a silent startup script ( obviously checking to see if the un install string exists in the installed applications section of the registry ) and if so then run msiexec to silently remove the file validation util ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Clearly not - had a few where the file validation utils icon shows up as MS Word so when I was trying to find it on a few computers I thought it was word to start with until I read the description which indicated it was in fact the file validation util not MS Word

Or as above disable the add in but if you ever have to restore to defaults it will possibly re enable that add in so still a pita
    We have some showing up as Outlook !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    We have some showing up as Outlook !!
    It's a cold fix not a hot fix :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread