+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Windows Thread, Shutdown GPO in Technical; Hi guys and girls, Is there a way of shutting down all PC's on the Domain through a GP at ...
  1. #1
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,421
    Thank Post
    508
    Thanked 282 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    81

    Shutdown GPO

    Hi guys and girls,

    Is there a way of shutting down all PC's on the Domain through a GP at certain times ??

    I want to set all the machine to turn off at 6:30 PM in the office but without going to every machine and manually setting a scheduled task.


    Thanks

  2. #2

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,641
    Thank Post
    894
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    Also you can use GP to deploy a scheduled task which runs a shutdown.exe command on the workstations as well.

  3. #3
    icttech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    43
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Hi yes there is.

    Search for Shutdownertron

    Shutdownertron

    Really easy to implement installs extra policy in GP (force, time etc) , and has a msi which deploys to clients.

    Works a treat at our place.

  4. 2 Thanks to icttech:

    cpjitservices (3rd August 2011), stevenlong1985 (2nd October 2012)

  5. #4
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,421
    Thank Post
    508
    Thanked 282 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    81
    Shutdownertron looks like the job! see if my machines shutdown at 6:30 tonight!

    Thanks!

  6. #5
    TheScarfedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    1,156
    Thank Post
    557
    Thanked 153 Times in 139 Posts
    Blog Entries
    78
    Rep Power
    80
    ZH beat me to it! Thats what i do.... GP preference > Scheduled task

  7. #6
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 268 Times in 192 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Depends on what version of windows you are running and if you have your DCs on 2008 R2.

    You cannot (well i dont think you can) roll out schedule tasks via group policy from a domain running 2008 R2 to machines running XP, XP just wont pick up the settings.

    If you are on windows XP, have a a bat script which add a schedule task to the machine if you are still running xp. You just need to change the computer name at the end of the script.

    If you are running win7 then use schedule tasks via group policy

  8. #7

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,817
    Thank Post
    873
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by icttech View Post
    Hi yes there is.

    Search for Shutdownertron

    Shutdownertron

    Really easy to implement installs extra policy in GP (force, time etc) , and has a msi which deploys to clients.

    Works a treat at our place.
    Doesnt work properly with windows 7

  9. #8

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,641
    Thank Post
    894
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Depends on what version of windows you are running and if you have your DCs on 2008 R2.

    You cannot (well i dont think you can) roll out schedule tasks via group policy from a domain running 2008 R2 to machines running XP, XP just wont pick up the settings.

    If you are on windows XP, have a a bat script which add a schedule task to the machine if you are still running xp. You just need to change the computer name at the end of the script.

    If you are running win7 then use schedule tasks via group policy
    No XP supports GPP with the client installed via WSUS or manually and these settings can be deployed from 2000 DC's onwards I am sure.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    109
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    It's so much simpler to run a batch file - especially if the shutdown times need to be changed quickly.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    1,675
    Thank Post
    122
    Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Personally I go for a batch files run from the server to shutdown the remote machine.

    (actually it's about 8 so I can shut down different blocks at different times)

  12. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    12
    I implemented batch file for 12 IT rooms, works a treat.

  13. #12


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,752
    Thank Post
    320
    Thanked 258 Times in 211 Posts
    Rep Power
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Personally I go for a batch files run from the server to shutdown the remote machine.

    (actually it's about 8 so I can shut down different blocks at different times)
    I used this method so I could seperate rooms for when they were used for afterschool homework clubs etc. Then also ran a blanket batch for later in the evening to catch any that had been turned on after batch file had been run.

  14. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I used this method so I could seperate rooms for when they were used for afterschool homework clubs etc. Then also ran a blanket batch for later in the evening to catch any that had been turned on after batch file had been run.
    Snap, i have also created wake batch files now,

  15. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    1,675
    Thank Post
    122
    Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Personally I go for a batch files run from the server to shutdown the remote machine.

    (actually it's about 8 so I can shut down different blocks at different times)
    The only "problem" I found was that I need to run the shutdown command twice for my Win7 machines as I've got an agressive power saving policy that puts them to sleep so the first shutdown actually wakes the computer up, the second shuts it down.

  16. #15
    gaz350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rutland, east.leicestershire :P
    Posts
    579
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 49 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    The only "problem" I found was that I need to run the shutdown command twice for my Win7 machines as I've got an agressive power saving policy that puts them to sleep so the first shutdown actually wakes the computer up, the second shuts it down.
    Could explain why it didn't work for me too of course I never bothered hanging around at night to find out why!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disable shutdown and loopback GPO issue
    By rocknrollstar in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd October 2008, 10:51 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 9th October 2006, 10:11 PM
  3. Deploy Software via GPO
    By ICTNUT in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 4th July 2006, 04:09 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14th October 2005, 09:28 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27th September 2005, 12:30 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •