+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Mboard with no Wake-On-LAN, please help! in Technical; We've had a major upgrade of our ICT suites and had new cabinets fitted to to be able to lock ...

Thank Post

Mboard with no Wake-On-LAN, please help!

We've had a major upgrade of our ICT suites and had new cabinets fitted to to be able to lock the new computers away underneath the desks. I've got everything setup and plugged in and we use NetSupport to wake and power on the machines. To my horror it looks as though the mainboard in the new PC's (MSI H61M-E33) does not have wake on lan option!! so im now stuck with computers locked away in cupboards with no way to turn them on each morning. I cant believe any motherboard today doesnt come with wake on lan but it looks that way.

I'm really stuck for ideas, can anyone suggest anything i can try or another way of controlling the pcs while keeping them locked away. I'm thinking some kind of hibernation rather than shutting them down if they can then be woken by the keyboard??

Thank Post
    You could have an external power switch - a small wire tail attached to a Maplin jobby push-to-make switch. You could then pop that switch into the cabinets, so you have an accessible but secure power switch. It's a fair bit of work mind.

Thank Post
    Don't suppose the board supports wake-on-timer? Some boards let you set a wake-up event on the internal clock...

Answered my own question.... According to the user manual, the board supports 'Resume on RTC Alarm' so you could set it up to automatically wake up at a pre-determined time.....
    Last edited by broc; 2nd August 2011 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is WOL not disabled in BIOS or other PXE options? I'd check there as it does seem very stange that they don't have WOL.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Don't suppose the board supports wake-on-timer? Some boards let you set a wake-up event on the internal clock...
    it has wake oin alarm but from looking i think you can only set it once, so you pick your day and time but cant say to turn on every day at x o'clock. It also causes a problem if someone in class shuts it down rather than logs off, no one can turn it back on without opening the cupboards.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Is WOL not disabled in BIOS or other PXE options? I'd check there as it does seem very stange that they don't have WOL.
    PXE boot is enabled and works, but the only options in wake up are "OS" or "BIOS" and under bios there is wake from S3 (which i believe is a sleep mode and not fully powered off) for USB, PCI/PCIe and by alarm. Checked bios updates and is the latest version.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just downloaded the manual from here: MSI Global ? Download Center
    And under the BIOS options there is one in Advanced/LAN Option ROM which looks to be disabled by default. According to the manual this option 'This item is used to decide whether to invoke the Boot ROM of the onboard LAN'. It may be worth a look.
    It may aslo be worth looking under Advanced/Wake up event setup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    it has wake oin alarm but from looking i think you can only set it once, so you pick your day and time but cant say to turn on every day at x o'clock. It also causes a problem if someone in class shuts it down rather than logs off, no one can turn it back on without opening the cupboards.
    You can disable shutdown as an option for users & only allow them to logoff.... personally I don't like doing this but it's an option.

Thank Post
    I've just downloaded the manual from here: MSI Global ? Download Center
    And under the BIOS options there is one in Advanced/LAN Option ROM which looks to be disabled by default. According to the manual this option 'This item is used to decide whether to invoke the Boot ROM of the onboard LAN'. It may be worth a look.
    It may aslo be worth looking under Advanced/Wake up event setup.
    LAN Option ROM is just enabling PXE boot unfortuntately and the wake up event list is just what i described above.

The option not to allow them to shutdown i might have to use, but then we might have to leave the computers on 24/7 which clearly isnt a great idea. So angry, rigtht now, we have Dells from about 10 years ago which have WOL, i just dont get why you wouldnt include it, grrrrr!

Thank Post
    If you leave them on 24x7, can you set them up to go into a low-power state & resume on USB... so moving the mouse would wake them up?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is this thread on the MSI forums that may be worth a look apparently: H55M-E21 LAN off (LED off) in S3 state, can't use wake on LAN (WOL)
    It was linked to from another MSI H61M-E33 thread complaining about lack of WOL.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the WOL options are set via the OS rather than the BIOS perhaps (ensure you have the MSI drivers installed though).

There are a few things you should check. Go into device manager and open the properties for the NIC you are using for this remote connection. First click on the Power Management tab and make sure the options are checked to "Allow this device to wake the computer". I would uncheck the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if it won't work while it's checked. You should also check the magic packet box.

Click on the Advanced tab and enable the option for "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Wake on pattern match". I can't recall if the "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan" option is supposed to be enabled or disabled but try enabled first.

Thank Post
    Problem is all this WOL stuff i and you have found dos_box is just to wake it from S3 which is just sleeping. We have a shutdown script that switches all pc's off each night. It doesnt look like this is going to be possible to get them to power on using WOL like we have been doing with the old PC's. I cant get the LEDs to stay on the NIC when its shut down, which they should be doing.

So as someone said i think if it cant be done the only idea will be to try and disable the shutdown setting and so that they just sleep (S3) and then wake them with a move of the mouse and have to leave them on 24/7 - even though i dont really want to do it like this.

Thanks for all the help so far though

Thank Post
    Looks like the WOL options are set via the OS rather than the BIOS perhaps (ensure you have the MSI drivers installed though).
    I have a similar problem on an Intel board, when I set the WOL in the OS it works fine. However if I sysprep it for imaging then the settings are lost. I now need to work out how to make the setting sticky or to reapply automatically it after imaging.

Thank Post
    right this is what i think i'm going to do after some testing. Going to have to set the computers to "Standby" after 2 hours and have the keyboard and mouse working in waking them. I'll then remove the ability to shutdown and standby option from the user interface with group policy (i'm assuming you can remove the standby option but still have the standby command to work after 2 hours) and that i can remove these not only from the start menu when a user is logged on, but also from the menu at the cntrl+alt+del screen?

Not really what i wanted to do but it looks like the best bet if i can do everything i said above.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast