+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows network folder access on Workgroup in Technical; Bit of a strange one and I think I pretty much know the answer. But just wanted to double check. ...

Thank Post

Windows network folder access on Workgroup

Bit of a strange one and I think I pretty much know the answer. But just wanted to double check.

I have a network that is all WinXP pc's on a workgroup. No DC or server of any kind. What the client wants to be able to do is to be able to restrict certain local users (local to the individual pc's) from accessing something that is shared out from another WinXP pc.
    I don't think this is possible as they want to leave it with allow everyone full access on that network share (currently nobody puts in a username or password to access it) as this is how they have done it in the past with the users.

The only way I could see this working is if we restricted access, created a user on the computer with the share and then everyone just puts in that logon when they want to access it. Either that or put the computers that these users will be using on a seperate network. Either that or get them to spring for a server and setup a domain for them.

But is there something I am missing here? Is there a way to restrict these local users from access this network share?

Thank Post
    Any reason you can't just share with X groups, then set them to the local groups of the users you want to access it?

Or make it hidden share and only give certain users a shortcut?

Or disable file sharing for certain users?

Seems many ways, unless I'm missing something here.

Steve

Thank Post
    Sorry, maybe it is too late in a Friday afternoon but I am not quite getting what you mean in the first instance. At the moment it is shared for everyone to have full access. But each computer is using their own local user. The computer with the share has it set that all unknown users are seen as guests.
    The client doesn't want it that the network share needs a logon to access it. However, we have a bank of computers that people will be using next week. At the moment there is only a user account with no password, which gets access to the network share without problem.
    But if I create a new restricted user then how would I tell this other computer not to allow access to these particular users on these computers? I realise of course that the user account will also need a password set otherwise they could just log on and access these files on the share.

And yes, I suppose we could hide the shares.

Otherwise, disabling file sharing from certain users in windows xp. Sounds fesible. Care to elaborate? Or even point in the right direction?

Thank Post
    At the moment it is shared for everyone to have full access
    I'm assuming that means you have "simple sharing" turned on. There's an option to give individual users access by computer name/user name. Got to run home but best checking it

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread