+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Print Manager Plus 6 - need help with users in Technical; In my office we have set my computer up to share part of the harddrive to act as a server ...

Thank Post

Print Manager Plus 6 - need help with users

In my office we have set my computer up to share part of the harddrive to act as a server storage and everyone routes to the printers and plotters via my machine. The printers are not direct connected to my machine but setting up that way allows everyone to get the pop-up window when trying to plot. The problem is that no one shows up as a user in PMP and does not bill any plots to PMP. They can see all job I set up in PMP but there is no record of them sending a plot; only my jobs show up as billed.

Any ideas what Im doing wrong? I feel like its something simple but I cant figure it out.

Thanks you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,661 Posts
    Where is PMP installed?
    Every user needs the PMP client on their PC. It is the client that decides who is trying to print what to where. The client then talks to the PMP application on the server to log it to the database.

Check the printer appears on the application databse and that all your users are being picked up from AD in the application database.

Note that only the network printers will appear on PMP on the server. It is possible to use it with local printers, but it involves extra licensing cost... I did look into it, but it was too expensive to do for our small school.

Thank Post
    Thanks for such a concise reply.

The plotter is acting as a local printer with our current set up and I have a admin. PMP on my desktop. Each of the users has the client. They do get a pop-up asking them to pick the job but its isn't billing the jobs they pick. The plotter is picked up by the software but only users on my machine are shown in any field. Other users on our router network are not.

Sounds like from what you say I need them to connect to the plotter via the router rather then thru my machine. When I do that though they by-pass the admin. software and get no pop-up at all.

Then were can I put the PMP access file? It has to go on one of our machines since we have not true server. This was so much easier when we had a true server.
    Last edited by iank; 18th July 2011 at 11:23 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure how the client knows where to look for the database... It seems your clients don't either.

I only have 2 servers, so the PMP application and database sit on the same server as AD. and the spool... and quite a lot of other stuff. Not ideal, but simple to locate stuff!

Thank Post
    This isn't a permissions problem, is it? Do the users have the right permissions for. Their client to talk to the location of your database?

Your database does need to be in a shared location
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 18th July 2011 at 11:56 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread