+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Strange Browsing Issue in Technical; Bit stumped on this one what to try next so open to suggestions? Asked to connect an old PC up ...
    Thank Post

Strange Browsing Issue

Bit stumped on this one what to try next so open to suggestions?
    Asked to connect an old PC up to the admin network (just a workgroup which uses the copier/printer which is set up on the curriculum domain network). All the other admin PC's work just fine printing and getting the internet this way. This old PC can see the other admin PC's, I can map and use drives on the office master PC but can for the life of me get it to browse or ping our curriculum server or get the internet! I can ping the other office PC's fine and the office printer.
    At the moment this PC is in an office with one office PC (which works and connects to everything it should) and one network point. Added a desktop switch and connected the PC to it so I know its connected to the right connection point in the cabinet as the other PC is fine.
    Removed and added the network card, added a separate card, changed its ip settings so that its used the same as the working on (obviously changed the working one to something else and that still works!), and kind of run out of ideas why it just wont see the curriculum side server or the gateway IP the admin use to get internet.

Failing all else will have to reinstall the PC, not a preffered option, must be something stupid I've not checked or set surely?

Thank Post
    Any chance its a firewall installed somewhere that you haven't noticed? Or something like a norton trial firewall installed that ran out of trial(half removed?) and still haunts this machine (I've had that before where it wasn't in add/remove etc, not in programs and not in processes, had to get hold of the advanced norton uninstalled? Maybe try a live cd just to check hardware is all happy etc... then you know your deffo looking at a software problem?

Thank Post
    Maybe try that, firewall turned off, and no other one on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread