+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Roaming Profiles/Folder Redirection Questions in Technical; Hi folks. I am currently working on getting rid of our huge logon script that used to do everything, drive ...
    Thank Post

Question Roaming Profiles/Folder Redirection Questions

Hi folks.

I am currently working on getting rid of our huge logon script that used to do everything, drive mappings, printers, display properties, folder redirection, desktop icons etc etc. I printed it out earlier and it was 20 A4 pages worth of kix script (not set up by me)

I am almost there and am really happy with how its gone. There are one or two things that I need to nail down to get it just right. So here are a couple of things that I cant find a definitive answer to on the web.

1. What is the best way to create a new default user profile to go in NETLOGON? We use roaming profiles and when a user logs on for the first time, they recieve this profile and I would like to make a few changes?

2. I have redirected most things including desktop, start menu, and application data. Should there be folders be in the default user profile in NETLOGON called desktop, start menu, application data?

3. When a user logs on to a computer for the first time, it caches the profile in the Document and Settings folder. Should this folder have desktop, start menu and application data folders even if they are being redirected?

4. The current default user profile in NETLOGON, and therefore all new profiles, has no NTUSER.dat or .man file. Is this a problem? what are the ramifications of this?

5. On my W7 machine, if I log in to the Docs and Settings folder of another machine (XP), and I view the properties of a new cached user profile, the size is about 6mb. If i then click delete, it says deleting and displays that the folders is about 120mb? Is this the same for everyone or just me? Surely the cached profiles cant be that size. especially as I only created the user about 10 minutes before and logged in once to the machine.

6. Redirected application data for all users to a shared. Is it better to redirect everyone to one folder (similar to Start Menu/Desktop) or allow each user to have their own Application Data?

All clients are XP, server is 2008

Sorry for the mass of questions, I hope I have explained myself enough. If you can answer some or all of them I will be very grateful.

James

Thank Post
    1. Use the "Copy To" button in the Profiles tab after you have configured your profile as you want it. Remember to allow "Everyone" permission to access it.

2 & 3. Yes there will be folders even though it has been redirected.

4. They do have the files. You need to enable the view to display hidden and system files for the folder.

5. Not sure what youre asking here...

6. If users are using a roaming profile, redirect to individual folders. If mandatory, redirect to one location.

Hope this helps...

3. Thanks to riffleman from:

Admiral208 (28th June 2011)

Thank Post
    thanks rifleman.

This helps loads. Its what I thought for most of it but just wanted to confirm my thoughts.

question 5 is a bit of a strange one and im not too concerned. I will post again once I have sorted the other things out.

Thanks again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread