+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Computers lose connection to the domain in Technical; Today ive had around 12 machines lose connection to the domain. Computers are XP SP3 but ive no idea why ...

Thank Post

Computers lose connection to the domain

Today ive had around 12 machines lose connection to the domain. Computers are XP SP3 but ive no idea why they have done it. about 3 weeks ago i moved all 3 DCs to 2008R2 so im not sure if that has anything to do with it. Ive checked the event logs on the 3 DCs and there are about 8 machines with netlogon errors ID5722.

I have been rejoining them to the domain and they then work but i dont know whey they are losing connection in the first place!

Thanks

Thank Post
    last time it happened to me was when i forgot to rename pc's and i joined them all to domain with the same name ;]
    anyway check this link for some solutions Event ID 5722 Source NETLOGON

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Did you change your primary DNS by any chance? Either rename the DC or change the IP? The workstations could be looking for something which no longer exists!

I would also check that your nameservers are correct too.

Thank Post
    Im not sure when you mean change primary DNS. All i done was add a new 2008r2 DC and move the fsmo roles over. Do i need to make this DC the primary DNS then?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Well normally 9/10 times, DNS is Active Directory integrated which makes things considerably easier. If you have all your FSMO roles on one server, like at a Primary school, then yes I would recommend you make this a DNS server too. If you check what roles your server is running and add DNS if it's missing.

Within DNS, expand 'Forward Lookup Zones', right click your domain and choose ‘Properties’. Here it will tell you if it’s Active Directory integrated (recommended). Click on the ‘Name Servers’ tab and all your internal DNS servers should be listed here. Repeat this for ‘Reverse Lookup Zones’.

If you open up DHCP Server, expand your scope > Scope Options > DNS Servers

Now you may have more than one server dishing out IPs, but most smaller networks only have the one DHCP Server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    I presume this is nothing to do with the date / time / time zone settings on both server and clients to ensure they match and are correct and within aprox 5 to 10 mins of the server and there is a server that has NTP configured and GPO pushes out the NTP settings to the clients to point to the said NTP server ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've seen this with Windows 7 - probably not related but we keep losing the trust between the 7 machine and the domain.The only difference we have is that our XP machines are WDS deployed whilst our 7 machines are MDT2010 deployed. I'll check the NTP server advice that MS advised. Gareth

Thank Post
    Hi All,

I would like to push in this thread as well. I am seeing this same error, however, it happens only with one server I run 2k3, which is our IIS for production as well.
    - It uses my DC as the timer server
    - I checked that DNS in the reservation IP - ok
    - If I remove/rejoin to the domain, I am able to login once only as a domain user - that's it. After that, I get an error that a domain controller can not be found.

I have already used an older image of my IIS Server of 3 months old - and I get the same behaviour.

this leads me to think that the problem may be in my DC (2K3) but can't think of why.

Only change I did was change my DNS (but they seem to deploy correctly).

I am willing to provide any log file, make any change, and do practicaly anything if you help me :-) (all in the limits of the forum off course ^^ )

Saar

Thank Post
    Some things to try:

- Remove it from the domain yourself (ie don't wait for it to break) delete the computer object from AD (it only disables it) and then re add.
    - Change the server to DHCP breifly thereby clearing any static IP settings and see if it works.
    - Move the server to a OU in AD which has no or minimal group policies applied to it.
    - Log on as a local user and see if it does it.

You dont use something like FOG do you? and the server doesnt have the client installed for some reason? I know this can happen with the FOG client.

Thank Post
    Thank you Chris,

I did the AD remove/join - didn't help

What did help, was reading on SO that it could be that the MSMQ needed to be reinstalled. did that and it helped.

As for FOG, I do have it, just started with it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread