+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, remote desktop locking session in Technical; morning all, Our digital sinage is basically a powerpoint presentation that runs on a loop. The person who is responsible ...
    Thank Post

remote desktop locking session

morning all,

Our digital sinage is basically a powerpoint presentation that runs on a loop.

The person who is responsible for the presentation is currently using dameware to remotely connect to the machine, edit the presentaion and then log off.

To cut a long story short, we cant use dameware anymore. We can use remote desktop to connect to the machine but whenever we close the RDP session, it locks the machine. This is no good because we need it to still show the presentation.

How can I stop the remote desktop from locking the workstation when the session ends??

TIA

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not the aswer you want but you could use VNC....

Thank Post
    yes, you can't use RDP in the way you want. VNC is free and easy and will do as you need.

Thank Post
    VNC sounds to be exactly what you need and its free.

Thank Post
    i knew you were all going to say VNC. I know I can use VNC but as you said FN-GM, thats not the answer I wanted.

Does anyone else have an idea??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    i knew you were all going to say VNC. I know I can use VNC but as you said FN-GM, thats not the answer I wanted.

Does anyone else have an idea??
    Can i ask the reason you dont want VNC please?

If you want AD auth like RDP you can use uVNC it will allow you to do this http://www.uvnc.com/

I am pretty sure you cant use RDP like that as it simply wasnt designed for the job.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 20th June 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post
    RDP is designed for servers, it will not allow you to view what is on the screen of the remote PC (at the remote ends screen that is)logged in or not. This is by design and cannot be altered.

Thank Post
    you wont be able to change it, Choices are use somehting like vnc which interacts with the console, or set your digisignage to run at startup and restart the pc at the end of the rdp session.

Thank Post
    You could create a scheduled task that loads the powerpoint from a remote folder then you could just save a new powerpoint in that directory. you could set the task to run every ten minutes then terminate and run again.

Thank Post
    The problem is that when you log on with RDP, the computer you're logging onto locks then so that the session can't be interfered with at the other end and then the session is piped to your RDP Client.

Remote Assistance apparently allows you to join a session and control it, but I'm not sure if you can set the machine to auto accept as Remote Assistance instead (normally it's a send a request kind of thing). The easiest thing for you to do is really going to be VNC. With UltraVNC you can set it to use logon details from AD to be the login method, and you can even lock it down to which groups on the AD can access it. Is there a particular reason you don't want to use VNC?

Thank Post
    Im not saying that I dont want to use it, Im saying that I do want to use RDP. Its already built in, its simple to use and I dont have to install anymore software.

Im not sure you can say that that RDP wasnt designed for the job, its called remote desktop. thats exactly what it is designed for.

Thank Post
    The other option (by the way) is to install Xibo on the machine (use WAMP to install the server with and then have the client on the same machine) that way you can still use the PowerPoint element on there, but you just go in and update the Layout with the new PowerPoint and off you go. Obviously, it adds in more functionality as well in that you can have videos displayed on their own without the need for PowerPoint etc. Always worth a look for a freebie and then you simply control it via it's web interface ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    The other option (by the way) is to install Xibo on the machine (use WAMP to install the server with and then have the client on the same machine) that way you can still use the PowerPoint element on there, but you just go in and update the Layout with the new PowerPoint and off you go. Obviously, it adds in more functionality as well in that you can have videos displayed on their own without the need for PowerPoint etc. Always worth a look for a freebie and then you simply control it via it's web interface ..
    Yeah, Xibo is a project for over the summer. Dont have time to fully test it and get it set up properly now.

Thank Post
    Im not saying that I dont want to use it, Im saying that I do want to use RDP. Its already built in, its simple to use and I dont have to install anymore software.

Im not sure you can say that that RDP wasnt designed for the job, its called remote desktop. thats exactly what it is designed for.
    Very true, though the later variants have moved away from shared sessions and RDP is something that is separate from the PC control element. Where they used to be the same thing, you now have 2 streams, RDP for Terminal Stuff, working on Servers Remotely, etc etc, and then Remote Assistance for working in an existing session and sharing it. So whilst it's part of the RDP stuff, it's a different way of working. I've never used it myself other than very brielfy, but I find that having VNC is the easiest way for desktop support across site and that RDP is best for getting onto the servers.

As it's signage, see my suggestion about XIBO. I know it's another piece of software, but it's a piece of software designed for doing signage and means that the signage screen doesn't have the lock screen coming up and things but it's all done from a backend web interface. Works rather well, though you do need to make sure that you follow the PowerPoint setup instructions for XIBO (Manual:Layoutsesign - Xibo) else it won't display properly.

Thank Post
    Yeah, Xibo is a project for over the summer. Dont have time to fully test it and get it set up properly now.
    Yeah, it does take a while to get used to it, but when you do have the time it's brilliant ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast