+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, remote desktop locking session in Technical; looks like VNC it is then......
    Thank Post
    looks like VNC it is then...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,007 Posts
    http://www.missingremote.com/guide/how-enable-concurrent-sessions-windows-7-service-pack-1

* If you use this patch there's obviously the EULA issue to contend with.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Assuming that the machine is set to auto-login, how about a shortcut to the powerpoint in the startup folder. Then once your done updating the powerpoint, you restart the machine through the remote desktop connection so that when it comes back up it launches the updated powerpoint?

More of a faff then just using VNC, but is a way of achieving what you want to do without using it.

Thank Post
    Any reason you can't just make a disconnect users BAT then run that instead of logging off? Then it shouldn't lock as you didn't initialise the logoff

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Any reason you can't just make a disconnect users BAT then run that instead of logging off? Then it shouldn't lock as you didn't initialise the logoff

Steve
    AFAIK, the session locks when you log on, not at the point you logoff / disconnect. All the machines I've RDP'd onto here basically show the "This computer is in use by" screen with the Ctrl+Alt+Del option. If I disconnect, that options remains, if I log off, then the machine just shows "Ctrl+Alt+Del To Log on" screen.

If you're in Remote Assistance (which normally needs someone to accept the offer of help, though I have read you can set that somewhere to be automatic, but I can't remember where and VNC does the job for me better) then you have the session sharing option which means if you log off then the machine logs off, if you disconnect session then you leave the session open and running as you found it.

Thank Post
    The problem with VNC is that everyone can see what you are doing while you edit it and who knows how long that will take. It's not particularly professional to see someone tinkering with a power point presentation, and maybe images and stuff broadcast all over the place for ages.

If it was me, I would do something like have a script on startup that checks a folder (be it local or network based) for the presentation file, copy it to a local temp folder and run that automatically. Then all you have to do is update the original document and force a reboot quickly.

Assuming the machine is set to auto logon you can update the presentation with minimal downtime.

Thank Post
    I installed VNC and to be honest I was surprised at how easy it was. As mentioned above, the only downside is that everyone can see what your doing when your editing the file. Not too much of a problem because it doesnt happen all that often.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    I installed VNC and to be honest I was surprised at how easy it was. As mentioned above, the only downside is that everyone can see what your doing when your editing the file. Not too much of a problem because it doesnt happen all that often.

Thanks for all your help guys!
    With VNC you can blank the remote screen and ask it to do so on login if you change the settings (personally I only do that if I need to by using my client to blank the server/machine I'm logged into.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12